Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Problem With Horn

FREESTYLE_MX

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR Ute
Hi,
I have a problem with my horn. I put in an aftermarket steering wheel, and I thought everything was great. After a few days of driving, everytime I turned my wheel, the horn would go off and stay on until I had the wheel straight again. After a few corners, not realising it was me :whistling , I pulled over and took of the steering wheel, and pulled out the little wire thing that was rubbing against the metal, causing the horn to go off. Would anyone know why it was going off, is it earthing out? How do I go about getting the horn to work again. Any tips from someone who had the same problem?

Cheers Ash

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Mate ive never had this problem but you have already figured the cause so thumbs up. When you press the horn button or any button for that matter you basically complete an electrical CIRCUIT. Circuit being the main word. For anything electrical to work it must have a complete circuit from positive to negative.

When you push the horn button, the button completes this circuit. Now your problem is that the circuit is complete without pushing the button because the horn has found another path to ground. To fix your problem you need to INSULATE the two wires, so that they can never touch each other. If you need more help with this send a pic of the wire and the bit of metal. Basically as long as they are covered with tape or heat shrink or moved away from each other so that they cannot touch together.

Let us know how you go.