Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

struts and shocks

slappa.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
im lowering my vs wagon (non irs) and i know i should change the shocks aswell, but can someone please explain the go with struts?? bit confused.

cheers

RedLiner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series 2 Commodore
Well heres the simple layout. The car has 4 springs, one of each wheel. The Springs pretty much stop the car from bottoming out. When you lower the car, you get shorter springs which drops the height down. The back 2 wheels have shocks, which are usually replaced by a shorter shock when the shorter springs are put in. The front of the car has gas struts for the suspension. The strut is basically like a big shocky. I believe the standard struts are fine to leave in when the car is lowered.

ScottB_33

Go Hard or Go Home
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Berlina Supercharged
It is important you also realise that under NSW registration laws it is illegal to just cut springs and refit into vehicle when going for rego inspection. I always check if vehicle has cut springs and if so it is an instant rejection. Do the job properly as described in the above post and replace both springs and shocks with the correct units. You will have a better ride and a safer one as well. :hit:

slappa.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
yeh im doing it right.... springs, shocks, adjustable panhard.

so no difference if i keep original struts?