Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ABS off

Haze

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
hey every now and then the ABS off light comes on and only goes away from u turn off and start the car again. is this a problem or can someone explain its normal?

futronix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 MY12.5
yeh same **** here......

comes on and off when it feels like it.....

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Mate someone else might be able to help you out and point you in the right direction, I dont really know enough about it. My advise though would be to go see the experts about the ABS faults. Dont want the abs playing up when you really need it. It can be expensive so be prepared to throw the bag of money at your car.

ScottB_33

Go Hard or Go Home
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Berlina Supercharged
Whenever any of the ABS or SRS lights come on there is a fault in the system and the computer is letting you know that there is one. With your ABS light on this means that the ABS system is switched off and not working for that period of time. You need to access the ABS codes from the computer and find out what the fault code is that is being logged. Then repair the fault. Usually I find that the sensor rings on the wheels get very dirty with mud or grime and they need to be kept clean. Generally there are very little problems that go wrong with the system.

futronix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 MY12.5
Cheers scottB_33...... how do you go about reading the logged fault codes on the ABS system??

I can pretty much confirm that the ABS system ins't working as i had to come to a sudden stop at 80km'h the other day with a pile of cars 50m in front of me... slammed on the brakes and they didn't do ****.. no pulsing, didn't even lock up.... lucky I had a free space on my left lane otherwise it would have been all over....... there was no way it was gonna stop....

and the ABS light was off!!

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Check the fault codes logged by the computer. Do you know how to do this? Look in the how-to section of the website. They may or may not be recorded. Generally when the engine light comes on a fault code will be recorded but i dont know about the abs light. See how you go. Good to be able to check for codes anyway.

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
futronix said:
I can pretty much confirm that the ABS system ins't working as i had to come to a sudden stop at 80km'h the other day with a pile of cars 50m in front of me... slammed on the brakes and they didn't do ****.. no pulsing, didn't even lock up.... lucky I had a free space on my left lane otherwise it would have been all over....... there was no way it was gonna stop.

If they neither locked up nor pulsed, then you wouldn't know whether the ABS is working or not. If they lock up, without pulsing, then the ABS did not kick in. If they pulsed, the ABS kicked in.

Sounds like (in addition to the intermittant ABS fault) you have some poor performing brakes. Look at bleeding the brakes - possibly even flushing new fluid through, and get the pads and rotors checked.

Wouldn't cost much to go to a brake place and get the fluid replaced and a report on brake wear - whilst you are there, mention the ABS light...

The best time to check ABS is in the wet ;-)

futronix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 MY12.5
fletch_QLd.. cheers...

it did lock up for a second before but there was no pulse.... ive also done a test in the wet and it didnt pulse it was more like a hard kick in the pedal (once) and a slide.........

funny thing is we had our brakes done a while ago at ABS brake service.... they replaced a slider pin, machined discs and put new pads in..... about 6months later we had a grinding noise from the front and the brakes would engage the ABS system when we braked normally (pulsing of the pedal)!!! took it back to the same place abd he reckoned it was NORMAL!!! I still wasen't happy so he changed the pads, seemed to be alright up until recently when the ABS light started playin' up...

If ABS service center doesn't know what there doing now who does???? :whistling

Haze

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
where are the abs sensors?

Berlinarator

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS-Z
they're between the disk and the brake calipers. hey i've got the same thing, it only happens very rarely though. if anyone actually found a solution, post it up. Thanks.