Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

IRS noises

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
I've done a search but can't find and info for what I need to know...

I have found lately an annoying whirring noise coming from the back of the car...and no I havent been doing burnouts.

I have an IRS open wheeler rear end...

So far I changed the diff oil...old stuff was black...and clean...ie no metal.

I considered if the noise was diff oriented then changing the oil might have had a noticable effect on the noise... but I've still got the same noise.

I'm thinking it may be a centre bearing or wheel bearing...I suspect the latter.

The Gregorys workshop manual states I need special tools for a rear wheel bearing and it gives no info except an exploded view and hub nut torque...

What I want to know is has anyone done one before ?
Are the bearings a press in fit into the suspension arm ? If so how tight are they ? Could I rip em out with a slide hammer / puller ?

Cheers,
:drink:

stockvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec,honda civic,mazda626
not 100% but maybe give it time for the diff oil to work through. Also have you thought about a lsd?

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
stockvp said:
not 100% but maybe give it time for the diff oil to work through. Also have you thought about a lsd?

Yeah that thought crossed my mind... but I dont want to swap diffs just yet if it aint the diff...

stockvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec,honda civic,mazda626
isnt the irs part of your diff now, so wouldnt it be best to get a conversion cheaper in the long run, ive heard those irs to a bit dodgy?

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
No way...a conversion would cost thousands...
Its cheaper to replace wheel bearings or the diff centre if it comes to that.

It's not that bad yet...turn the radio or air con on and cant really notice it...