Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Computer Code 46 ???....

jonh_vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice
Today, in traffic (but of course!) my car (a VS Caprice) just stopped, on three different occassions (trips). Each time, the car restarted on the first turn of the key, and we resummed our trip. I have just checked the computer codes and found 31 and 46. I believe that 31 is "Theft Deterrent Signal Missing" but I do not know what code 46 is.
Does any one know what code 46 is?
Would anyone like to guess at what is going on here and why the car stopped?? :unsure:

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
Code 46 - No Reference Signals while cranking
did the car start straght away? did it take a wile to crank?

i think that is a Crank Angel sensor problem, but, check all the wiring is connected (battery etc)

jonh_vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice
Hi Fitzy,
Thanks for the info. To answer your question, yes it did start pretty well straight away on the first two of the three occasions. The third one, it took a second cranking attempt.

On my list of codes, code 46 is not mentioned but
"Code 48* Crankshaft Reference Signal Missing " is listed. Is this the same as code 46 or are they both referring to different problems?

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
jonh_vs said:
Hi Fitzy,
Thanks for the info. To answer your question, yes it did start pretty well straight away on the first two of the three occasions. The third one, it took a second cranking attempt.

On my list of codes, code 46 is not mentioned but
"Code 48* Crankshaft Reference Signal Missing " is listed. Is this the same as code 46 or are they both referring to different problems?

i checked here --> https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/pages/fault-codes

jonh_vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice
Updated Computer Codes List

Thanks Fitzy,
I have updated my list. I will reset the codes in the computer and monitor it.

In a previous response, you mentioned .....

"but, check all the wiring is connected (battery etc)"

Can you be a bit more explicit on where or what area to start checking - just in case it is a loose wire?

Strange thing about code 31 "Theft Deterrent Signal Missing" popping out as well. Maybe just a coincidence. Maybe the same loose wire....

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Code 46 is relating to the dfi module or crank angle sensor. The crank angle sensor goes to the dfi module so the two are closely related and difficult to fault find. I would be more suspect of the crank angle sensor. Mine has gone twice in 3 years. Put a new one in and that car doesnt stall again after that. Crank angle sensor problems can be heat related. The first time mine failed the car would start from cold fine but if i was driving and stopped for petrol it wouldnt start warm for about 1/2 an hour while it cooled down.

I would expect that the car stalling would become more frequent until you wont be able to re-start it. I would than call RACQ and get them to check it as they will be able to tell you whether its one or the other. But they can only do this when it wont start.
Make sure the connectors to the dfi module (under the coil packs) are tight and not corroded. Start the car and give them a wiggle and see if it stalls. Probably not but is a good place to start.

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
jonh_vs said:
Thanks Fitzy,
I have updated my list. I will reset the codes in the computer and monitor it.

In a previous response, you mentioned .....

"but, check all the wiring is connected (battery etc)"

Can you be a bit more explicit on where or what area to start checking - just in case it is a loose wire?

Strange thing about code 31 "Theft Deterrent Signal Missing" popping out as well. Maybe just a coincidence. Maybe the same loose wire....

as kopper said, dfi module, wiring to the CAS and just check to see that the battery terminals are clamped on tight and clean(whcih is behind the big pulley at he bottom,

code 31 - i get that occasionaly too, been told it may be a flat battery in the key, or the key not making proper contact. (try bending the key contacts on the barrel out a little bit)

jonh_vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice
Thanks guys for your ideas.
Something I did not mention is that the car (a VS Caprice) is a 5L V8 not a V6. So I believe that in the 5L V8, the CAS is in the distributor and th DFI is not under the coil packs as the V8 has only one coil situated at the distributor (old technology style). The loose wiring is certainly a possability, but which wire? Any other ideas?

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
have the car running & wriggle the connector at the trigger module see if it hesitates, this is the most common cause of dtc46, either a bad connection or the module itself is faulty.
the 31 will be caused by the remote key not working at some stage.

Rob

jonh_vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice
Thanks Rob. The module has been replaced not so long ago. The connections sounds like the place to start.

Last edited: