Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rattle under heavy acceleration

VSB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Supercharged Calais and Vr Berlina
Every time I go from a standing start and floor my VR,
I get this metal on metal rattling sound coming from the front of the passenger foot well....I've checked the power antenna and computer out which all look tight as well as the bushes on the steering arms......

Any one got any more suggestions or had the same prob?

VSB

Reaction score
Members Ride
O

ovk338

hi are you sure its comming from the front passanger side as it could be comming from the centre bearing in the tail shaft if so you may have to get that replaced

otherwise it mey be your engine mounts one of them could be broken you may have to get under and check everything

NOGEN 3

Reaction score
Members Ride
have u taken the stuff outta your glovebox?? ha ha j/k
is it your left bank exhaust?
What r your engine mounts like?

Centurion

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore V6 3.8lt Manual
I find i have the same sound in my VR manual it kinda only when its bogged down a bit.

VSB

Reaction score
Members Ride
Definately at the front left around the guard, might try taking out the mud flaps and checking the wheel arch out,

any volenteers to stick there head under it while I give a boot......LOL

futronix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 MY12.5
funny you mention the left front wheel guard... im gettting a scrapping sound at the left front arch but only happens when im reversing out of the driveway....... go figure :whistling

weedo_86

JC Resident FireFighter
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
03 VYII Clubby M6, 92 Barina With Sunroof :)
i think i have the same problem with my VS clubsport sumtimes not all the time under accelration it makes a rattle yet to find where exactly the noise is coming from but it is annoying it sounds like stones are hitting the bottom of the car not a great sound to have kinda makes the 5ltr sound like a piece of

ScottB_33

Go Hard or Go Home
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Berlina Supercharged
I think you will find the noise is actually the timing chain tensioner assembly has broken inside the timing case and the chain is rattling upon acceleration. It is very common in VN's and VP's especially V6 engines. Usually comes in at 1500 - 2000rpm and under load. then tends to dissappear as the revs get higher and the engine noise overtakes the rattle. Quite easy to fix if it is the problem.

haloeight

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato SII L67 S/C V6
could also be engine mounts?

that would do a similar thing, especially if theyre only stuffed on one side, the engine would tend to lean that way

im dealing with that issue myself very soon, as mine rattles on one side, mainly when turning in one direction when its cold, and thats the only thing i can think of, its not really a metallic rattle tho