Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how to tighten fanbelt on vs v6 ???

muzza

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx berlina
hi guys just wondering if any one noes on a vs v6 commodore how to tighten the fanbelt i just slid the old one of the tensioner it sprang out of place by a couple cm s now i have the new belt seated perfectly in postion but it is of course loose cause i cant see how to tighten it again please help cheers muzza

jafo

lurker since 2003
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 wh statesman
the fan belt tensioner should do it for you, unless the return spring is shot.
in that case you will need a new tensioner or if your good you could attempt to fix the tensioner you have.

TheIceman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Ex-cop
muzza said:
hi guys just wondering if any one noes on a vs v6 commodore how to tighten the fanbelt i just slid the old one of the tensioner it sprang out of place by a couple cm s now i have the new belt seated perfectly in postion but it is of course loose cause i cant see how to tighten it again please help cheers muzza
if you just slid it off and it went 'twang' you might have broken it, use a socket and bar to gently release the tensioner to remove the belt and replace the belt

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
interesting that it is being referred to as a fan belt but it doesnt actually drive the fan at all ;)

S

Stikaa

Usually all you would have to do is get a 10mm spanner I think and put it on the pulley bolt and push down, then remove belt. To put it on thread through pulleys and I think you leave out the air conditioner pulley and push down tensioner to put it on the A|C pulley, but as long as you get it on correctly. Then simply turn the car on and it should tension itself so that the arrow on the tensioner guide is perfectly in the middle.

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
have you got the right belt for right car
vn/vy use similar belts aircon yes/no
belts are very close in size 9 different types i think
ps. check sping on tensioner