Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

auto trans leak!

daniel VR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim S2
hi guys!

Yesterday after parking my car infront of my mates place, i notaced trans fluid leaking a far bit from where it looks like the front of the sump. This morning i poped my head under there with a socket set and the front few nuts of the sump were a little loose!!! I got my trans serviced 5,000km ago!!!
:mad: Anyway do you guys think it might be more than a **** house job by the machanic or are there other factors that contribute to a leaking trans.

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
Well if some of the bolts were loose, then the gasket wouldn't be sealing properly, so I would think that would be the main reason as to why the trans would be leaking fluid...

sixes

UTEPILOT
Reaction score
Website
www.utepilot.com
Members Ride
VY SS II M6 Ute
Get a gasket and pull the sump off. The oil will ruin the gasket and cause it to leak even if done up again.

Easy job to do, just make sure you get some car stands, more Dexron 3 oil and away you go

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I've seen some of the 'cheaper' pan and gasket kits just use plain cork gaskets which will shrink and leak. Better kits use the neoprene/cork gaskets which have bits of black neoprene mixed with the cork and do not shrink. It probably would be best to put a new gasket on as 'sixes' suggested.

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
any workshop that is worth their salt will use a torque wrench to tighten the sump bolts on the trans! its a double edged sword with those, tighten them too much, your gonna squash the gasket n cause it to leak, and dont tighten them enough, well thats a recipe for disaster!
as has been said before, replace the gasket as its rs now!

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
my last two cars went to the mechanic for a trans service, both cam eback good, then leaked less then a week later, both resulted in me doing the FRUOISAKJASDKLJDF!(*^#$()*# job of sealing it up with a gasket myself.

and yes get the good gaskets, its worth it.

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
Thats what happened when I had my gearbox fixed last time (about 7yrs ago), brand new trans from GM and Holden dealer fitted it (warranty), a week later it was pouring oil, just tighten the sump and was sweet.