Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

No Power?!?!?!?

boojak87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Series II SS 5.7L
Here's the dillio! I got a 96' VS Ecotech and lately i've noticed that on some days when i decide to plant my foot down a little there's a slow build up of speed as if she's struggling, then all of a sudden there's the boost associated with more acceleration (but still in low revs, then of course big speed in higher revs). This kinda shiits me in a way! The acceleration in the folk's vt is a lot more jumpy. When you accelerate, it's instantaneous compared to the vs, also, the acceleration isn't as smooth (i.e. it feels like the pedal half gets slightly stuck). Could it be a stretched accelerator cable? How much would i be looking at to replace one? Also, i have a slightly rough idle when sitting at the lights (in drive), i was thinking maybe the throttle body could need a clean (since it's never been done) but then again none of the sensors have ever been replaced in 216,000kms either! Could a new O2 sensor improve things? Another quick question, i'm looking at getting extractors fitted soon, would it be wise to replace the Y pipe and cat as well? As they both have been there since the car rolled off the production line! Haha and if anyone has any extractors for sale or know of anyone that want to offload some in the Melb metro area plz help, been looking for too damn long, only to hear, "It's gonna cost you 700 bux!"

Cheers all,
Boojakz.

bobza

Reaction score
hey,

recently i got a new clutch installed, and now my car feels like it has the same problem it is a 2000 model vs ute 5spd. but sometime in a gear i acelerate and it accerates but then it will boost up without pushin my foot in further, it also feels a nit rougher or the acceleration.

cheers
bobz

boojak87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Series II SS 5.7L
BUMP...Does no-one have an answer?

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
doesnt sound like its all that un-normal really...stock auto vs's are a little sluggish when you put the foot down....maybe just give everything a check over paying particular attention to the spark plugs and leads.

boojak87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Series II SS 5.7L
Cheers guys....Yeahhh i woz possibly thinking along them lines! The car's due for a service in 45 kms lol and i gotst some top gun 8mm cables ready so i'll see if they can put some ngk plugs in when the service gets done and we shall see how we go :hit:

Cheers,
Boojakz.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
sircruisealotVS said:
doesnt sound like its all that un-normal really...stock auto vs's are a little sluggish when you put the foot down....maybe just give everything a check over paying particular attention to the spark plugs and leads.
My VS has instant reaction when I plant the foot and in traffic when doing say 20kph and I need to go round a car - if I plant the foot I get instant kickdown to first and a big boot in the back. As far as I know my car has only had one transmission service (by me) at 110K. It is an ex-cop car but was like new when I bought it at 85K. Maybe I got lucky. Make sure that accelerator cable is not sticking to as you suggested.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
hako said:
My VS has instant reaction when I plant the foot and in traffic when doing say 20kph and I need to go round a car - if I plant the foot I get instant kickdown to first and a big boot in the back. As far as I know my car has only had one transmission service (by me) at 110K. It is an ex-cop car but was like new when I bought it at 85K. Maybe I got lucky. Make sure that accelerator cable is not sticking to as you suggested.

thats not instant reaction if your already rolling man.
just out of curisoity have you ever driven a series1 vn??...thats instant reaction...if you get too excited in them you wont go anywhere...because you'll be spinnin like no-ones business.
i was refering to a standin start throttle response/reaction...which stock vs's arent too flash at (in comparision to ealier vn/vp/vr)...i've also driven a vx, and their lag is even worse (probably mostly due to extra weight).

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
sircruisealotVS said:
thats not instant reaction if your already rolling man.
just out of curisoity have you ever driven a series1 vn??...thats instant reaction...if you get too excited in them you wont go anywhere...because you'll be spinnin like no-ones business.
i was refering to a standin start throttle response/reaction...which stock vs's arent too flash at (in comparision to ealier vn/vp/vr)...i've also driven a vx, and their lag is even worse (probably mostly due to extra weight).
You're probably right as I must admit she doesn't fly till the revs get over 2500 so they probably don't have as much low down torque as the VN. My big brother had a VN with the V8 and manual box back when they first came out in '89 and I remember him saying that the auto V6 was quicker off the mark than his V8...but only for the first 3 seconds. Silly bugger traded it for a Hyundai in '95.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
rolf...why on earth would he of done that!