Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Diy Cai?

cunners3

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VSII Wagon
Hey everyone,
I know this has been covered a million times before....but... I just went out and bought a K&n and am going to make a custom CAI.
Plan is to cut hole in bottom of airbox and run pvc pipe down then put a bend in and run it down somewhere where the fog lights would go.
Any thoughts on this setup and tips on doing it would be hugely appreciated as I want to get it right!
Cheers everyone!

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Just be careful not to leave it too low... puddles are bad ;)

cunners3

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VSII Wagon
hehe wild life? that'd be an interesting one! Hope I don't come across that!

Any Ideas on the design?

BANGERS88

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 Toyota Starlet GT, turbo.
yea just as you said, its very simple just make sure you do the measurements for the hole in the airbox right, and put a piece of mesh over the end of the pipe to stop the fauna getting up there. And it'll be all good!

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
i REALLY dont understand this obsession with home-made pvc CAI and such.
for starters..it illegal...secondly it will never be as good as an over the radiator CAI and finally you run such a risk having an intake down so close to the ground, your gunna get heaps of dirt/mud/dust goin in it, not to mention, rocks, bugs and water when its raining.
cunners3 you asked for tips on how to do this diy CAI...my tip is to part with $50 and get a real one.

P

Pauly2478

have a look at my cai in (cai) its for a vr but remember its not easy on a vr
cya

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
There is a bit of work to it and some of the other members have done it before so I would talk to them. Not sure if sircruisealotVS is right in saying that it is illegal but hes a pretty cluely bloke so I will go with him on that. In that case if it is illegal and you are caught, you face putting a stock intake back in your car only to leave big holes that you have cut through the place and possibly rust and all sorts of problems. I like the idea but wouldnt be doing it to my car.

cunners3

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VSII Wagon
point taken, thanks for the advice everyone - for some reason I thought the genuine GMH one was around $200 - just looked on ebay and u can get them for around $60 or so with postage so I'll head down that street i think...
Thanks again boys and girls...

Struma

Urge Surfer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Executive Ute
Illegal Body Mods

I know nobody really needs to be reminded of this but I am going to anyway:
Modifications to a vehicle must comply to Australian Design Regulations.
If they do not, they may render your vehicle technically or mechanically unroadworthy.
Insurance companies really don't like non roadworthy vehicles. Even if the police and a squadron of Department of Transport Wonks give your illegaly modified car the o.k.
So if you are in (at fault in) a major (costly) accident, the insurance company may well go over your car with a magnifying glass to make sure there isn't some way they can get out of paying. This can mean defecting a car because of aftermarket exhaust, too dark tints, a monster tacho or even for having crap hanging off your rear view mirror.
The reasoning may seem unjustifiable, but the outcome is the same as if you take a mechanically unsound car on the road.

So if you're going to cut non standard holes in your wheel arch, you would at least want to make sure it can be engineer approved (which is probably pretty unlikely in this case, good or bad design aside).

Have fun.