Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cai

P

Pauly2478

ok guys heres the VR CAI
now, before you start your guna have to take out the windscreen wiper bottle, if u dont wanta then stop readin, ok.
Important to disconnect ur Battery!
Take out windscren water resoviour!
1st thing go buy ur self a 300mm long x 90mm diamention piece of drain pipe along witha 2x45* bends, also some pluming blue glue stuff oh and zip ties.
2nd cut a hole in the bottom of the airbox (no if u look closely there is a 90mm circle already there so u dont have to measure. :p
3rd now place ur air box in the original position in the car and measure the hole to be cut in the metal, :whistling ,this is the fun part.
4th once ur have measured 90mm then either get a drill and drill losta holes or pay sum1 to do it (personally i drill a million little holes)
5th once ur done there put ur pipe in the hole to c if it fits and if it doesnt keep drilling:bang:
6th once all drilled out and sized up, put pipe in both holes(ensure a tight fit)
7th glue pipe in to air box then glue 45* angle on other end.
8th zip tie 45* bends to bumper bar harness and away u go! (after u reconnect the battery)
any way thats it i think if i remember, the only reason i put this up was i couldnt find steps for a VR CAI.
if i 4got ne thing plz tell me
pauly

Attachments

• inside wheel wel.jpg
    inside wheel wel.jpg
    367.2 KB · Views: 153
  • air box.jpg
    air box.jpg
    367.1 KB · Views: 142
  • underneath.jpg
    underneath.jpg
    383 KB · Views: 145

clinster73

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina S2
Yeah thats great but what have you done with the windscreen wiper bottle?
Its a requirement that you have one!!

P

Pauly2478

well im guna try to put it sum where else???:bang:
maybee
oh and in the above steps (with mine i only used 1 x45*bend

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
To be blunt it looks cheap and nasty and looks like someone did it in their backyard and you gotta find another place for your washer bottle ....why would you cut up your car when you can put the factory cai in for 50 bucks and it looks like it should be there and its functional with minimal effort...
The bloke who owned my car before me had cut a huge hole just forward of the airbox to do the same thing I assume...I just fitted a factory cai and left the hole there in the inner guard

VL Soldier

The rims maketh the ride!
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
'87 VL Exec & '95 VS Berlina
Okay, so I'm all ready to rock on down to Holden and pick up my cai! From the posts I've been reading it's obvious the S/C CAI has the largest opening (therefore more airflow and better performance). I've seen the SS (brand) CAIs on eBay and I know they're a lot more pricey than the Holden ones. However, they seem to have a larger opening than the Holden ones I've seen in various pics on here. I also read that the S/C CAI and the SS brand ones selling on eBay are identical. Can someone please confirm this as I am confused and don't think I've seen a pic of a S/C CAI fitted to a car (think I've only seen the 'normal' ones). Thanks again guys.

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
I think the SS ones are different.

As for the Holden ones, there is only an S/C one.. there is no "normal" CAI. The opening can be widened on either with 5 mins and a hairdryer...

VL Soldier

The rims maketh the ride!
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
'87 VL Exec & '95 VS Berlina
Thanks for the quick reply mate, that's cleared things up a bit. If there's only a S/C CAI and no other option then why do people keep saying "get the Supercharged CAI, it's got a larger opening?"

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Nah the CAI is the same regardless. Don't worry about the opening size, as above you can make it bigger anyway if need be.

The SS CAI doesn't do anything different to the holden one, just rips you off for about an extra $150 :)

If you check the how-to threads, theres a VS CAI post in there with all the GM part numbers you will need.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
The CAI may give you a slightly better fuel economy over time and maybe performance but dont expect to notice anything either way. Some people expect huge boosts from the CAI but really theres nothing great about it. The gap between the bonnet is only small and theres not a huge in rush of air.