Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Diff Oil Change

patullose

Sean
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Exc 1994
hey guys,

Im looking into chaning my Diff oil just wondering...How is it done???

Raging Bull

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Pack L67
Jack up car on 4 stands so it's on even ground and not leaning on one side. Undo the drain plug(bottom screw on back of diff), once all oil is drained fill up with new oil from the fill plug(top right), you'll have to use one of those pump bottle things that pump fluid upwards into the hole. I don't remember how much fluid is required, I can check Gregorys manual for you.

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
It also helps to make the oil drain faster if you go for a long drive to heat it up before draining. Also take the filler bolt out when draining as it reduces any atmospheric pressure inside the diff...more so than just the diff vent alone.

patullose

Sean
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Exc 1994
Thanks mate...that helps me alot!
i was told that i had to take the whole casing off...is this not true???

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
On IRS you dont need to... I'm not sure of the salisbury type....I havent done one before.

I just looked into my VS manual and it is a bit vague... probably best to get the gasket and some gasket goo before you start.

patullose

Sean
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Exc 1994
Mines not IRS...and its only a VR...so does that mean ive got to take the whole casing off?

patullose

Sean
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Exc 1994

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
because its not IRS, u have to take the rear casing off! the diff requires 1.8L to fill, Castrol LSX90 will be fine, if its a single spinner, or Castrol SAF-XA if its an LSD
make SURE you get a new gasket and some gasket sealant before you commence the job however!
undo all the bolts, ensuring that everyone comes undone before you pull any out!
as others have said, make sure the diff is at operating temperature to ensure the oil drains easier... if you have a jack, jack up the front of the car to ensure the diff drains faster
to put it back together, just put it back exactly the way it came out, ensuring that both gasket mating surfaces are completely clean!
if not, use a razor blade to clean em up!

Clacker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec Series II
Have a look to see if you have the drain hole. I spoke to Holden and they said I needed to take the whole plate off as the diff didn't have a drain on my VS SII exec.

I ended up taking the plate off as I foolishly left the bottom "bolt" to last....yep, it had a #&^@ drain hole.

I then spent the next hour cleaning out **** that had fallen in when I separated the plate :bang:

Yeah, I felt like a tosser. :embarrass

After all that, the oil and internals were spotless...are you sure you need to change diff oil?
Clacks

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
For the NON-IRS VS Commodores, you need to remove the diff backing plate, but if you have an IRS Commodore, you just need to undo the middle bottom bolt!
13mm and 15mm if my memory serves me correctly (they changed the size half way through the series)
and the filler plug is 1 n 1/8" in size!
good practice to undo this first, before removing the drain plug! :)
diff oil should always look clean, as its in a sealed enclosure, and theres no substance that can contaminate the oil, such as petrol
i still change my diff oil every 10thou, for the simple fact is that it keeps everything regular, conditions the seals etc and its easy n cheap to do!
ive also got a limo diff, so changing the oil makes more sense too!
ensures i get 2 wheel spins everywhere i go too!