Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

power lvl

statement

reaching new limits
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY/VZ Calais/Tonner
hi guys, last week a got my new 2 1/2" cat back exhaust fitted (very happy with the note:)) but i'm a little worried that its not making the power it should? i had it dyno after it was fitted an it makes about 140hp at the rear wheels, would that be right?
the car is a vs statesman V6 with no other mods an about 300,000kms. i'm a little worried cause i seen other people v6's make more power stock like 150 plus(on other forums) or so they say

can any one help with my question?

cheers

B

bonglung

My old VR V6 motor pulled 140.9RWHP with a 320,000k ex trashed cop motor. Was down badly on compression on one cylinder and the most if not all the valve guides where screwed. Use to be a prick to start with a cloud of black whereever I started it, but it use to rev so damn quickly. That was with a 5speed too. Mods at the time were CAI, Standard Air filter, removed bellmouth, extractors, hi-flo cat, 2 1/2" system.

Now i've got a nice VP motor in there and everythings running like a dream. But I haven't had it dyno'd.

So in answer to your question, if my old tired screwed motor could pull 140RWHP, then you'd think a healthy motor would get above it? *shrug*

B

bonglung

Oh wait, didn't realise you had a Ecotec VS.

Give it a good major service and go from there, could just need a new set of leads or something simple holding you back. Or the motor could just be on it's way out.... 300,000 is getting on a bit.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
that doesnt sound all that bad for a motor with that many k's on it.
i think its also a very common misconception that adding a cat back (or exhaust work in general) system will give you all this extra power and torque..when the performance improvements are really only marginal.
combining exhaust work with other simple bolt on mods can also improve the overall performance when working in unison.
oh, and what bonglung said about leads... a competent dyno place would have run checks on leads and plugs, checking the resistance and so-forth.

statement

reaching new limits
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY/VZ Calais/Tonner
before the new exhaust it ran about 120-124hp, the leads aren't that old maybe 6 months(top gun 8mm), but i have a feeling its either the sparks or the coils cause i had problems with the dis module(i think that wats it called, it sits under the coils) but now i'm just saving up for my new motor:w00t: then i'll have no problems with power

thanks for all of your imput guys:bow:

B

bonglung

Depends on the dyno place and if it was a dyno day and so on. But if it was just a power figure he was chasing they would of just strapped it, ran it printed out the sheet and asked for some dosh.

Instead of just buying another stock (second hand or rebuilt) why don't you spend the little extra and have yours rebuilt with the go fast bits.

Plenty of proven engine internal combos to search for.

If you're that keen, buy a come ecotec stroker short block and put your stuff on it, i.e heads, manifold and so on. Obviously would want to freshen up your heads and whatever your transfering over.

Just something to add to your thoughts.

statement

reaching new limits
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY/VZ Calais/Tonner
yer i thought about rebuilding my motor but i decided on getting a s/c 6 with come's 4.2lt crank and FIT's boost pulley upgrade an some hiddens extras:whistling i'm hoping in about 2-3 months i'll have the motor ready

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
statement said:
yer i thought about rebuilding my motor but i decided on getting a s/c 6 with come's 4.2lt crank and FIT's boost pulley upgrade an some hiddens extras:whistling i'm hoping in about 2-3 months i'll have the motor ready

(drooling)..that would be super sweeeet man. exactly the sort of thing i would do on my car if i had the dosh...just to be a little different (instead of goin v8 or normal s/c 6) a supercharged 4.2L stroker, sh*t yeah.
lets us know how she goes when you get it all setup.