Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

wat is a drive plate

shanhsv

Luvo
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais V6 & VSII Senator 215i
I've been told my drive plate is rooted but i have no idea wat it is,when ppl tell me it sounds much like the flywheel,is it the same or different

Don Sutton

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Acclaim
shanhsv said:
I've been told my drive plate is rooted but i have no idea wat it is,when ppl tell me it sounds much like the flywheel,is it the same or different

To have a drive plate means that the vehicle has an automatic transmission. Autotransmission vehicles rarely have a flywheel and the torque convertor is used as a substitute clutch and flywheel. The drive plate connects the crankshaft where the flywheel would normally bolt on to the front of the torque convertor. It is sometimes known as a flexplate. This plate takes out misalignment between the engine and transmission which is why it is a thin plate being about 4mm thick.
They can crack with constant flexing and if the bolts come loose holding the plate to the torque convertor or crankshaft the holes can become flogged. Basicaly two reasons for failure. Often cause a noise when broken.

shanhsv

Luvo
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais V6 & VSII Senator 215i
Hmm,my VL was an auto and it had a flywheel(i no coz i had to replace it). This thing with the VS is making a noise (very similar to the VL) and it can get really loud,how much is it to replace do u know

Don Sutton

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Acclaim
Sorry I have no idea, maybe someone else has.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Don Sutton is right on the money. The standard drive plate or flexplate won't take too much torque. If you have a heavily modified engine in an auto car you need to get the drive plate/flexplate replaced with an alloy item as well as having the transmission strengthened.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I think the VL had a Jap auto with the Nissan motor and probably the driveplate was part of the torque convertor or the ring-gear was part of the convertor leading shanhsv to believe his VL had a flywheel. Also some early auto trans driveplates were pretty heavy and similar to flywheels. Driveplates are not expensive...at least not the standard ones which are only a pressing with some holes punched in it.

deathsminion

Chrgd,Coold,Twinthrot'in
Reaction score
Members Ride
GT42R forced JZA80 Supra and VT Wagon
BlackVXGTS said:
Don Sutton is right on the money. The standard drive plate or flexplate won't take too much torque. If you have a heavily modified engine in an auto car you need to get the drive plate/flexplate replaced with an alloy item as well as having the transmission strengthened.

That happened to me :(