Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Noisy power steering rack ? think again

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Having put up with a subtle noise in what I thought was the rack when turning tight corners and parking and also having seen so many say it's normal for a commodore to have a noisy rack, well it's not normal I knew that.

The fix in my case and I dare say many others is not in the rack but the rubber boot on the steering collum thats dry and grabbing on the shaft, a simple squirt of teflon spray inside and outside on the collum and the "rack" is now 100% silent.

Interesting. :my:

S

Stikaa

Hmmm sounds plausible. Can you direct me to where this rubber boot is? Is it the boot inside the engine bay? Or do I take the steering column apart? Do you have any pics of it? I often thought that it was a simple lube job but the problem was finding the thing. Thanks.:thumbsup:

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
you can see it from the engine bay, just follow up the steering shaft to where the rubber is, slide the rubber up a bit, spray, fixed.

Nothing needs to be taken apart.

gregaust

Reaction score
Yep had that one myself. Commonly misdiagnosed as a bad rack.

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
it can be fixed easily by spraying from inside too, just spray the lube in between the steering uni & the boot near the firewall, work the wheel a bit & the groan goes away.

Rob

NVE_069

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh Statesman LS1
wots the best sprey too use

Fatboy

Reaction score
Can you use wd40? Or do you need a proper silicon spray?

Thanks!

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Any Teflon based spray lasts longest, WD-40 and the likes will dissapear fairly quick.

It's not uncommon for dodgy mechanics to charge the unsuspecting car owner for a internal repair on the rack and charge hundreds for a 1 sec spray.

It pays to check all nuts and fasteners for removal or wear marks from tools, unfortunately it's all too common to get ripped off.

Just remember, it's not common or normal for any particular model to have a noisy steering rack ! and some will say the commodore is one of them, it's not.

NVE_069

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh Statesman LS1
yeh i got priced for a new power steering rack 380 but ill try this 1st