Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Resprays??

Torquen

Boost FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
450+ HP FORD XR6T
Hey guys, i gota 96 VS commy which is nice but there is chips, scrathes, patch jobs and marks all over the frigin car cause the last owner wasnt very carefull with it. i was wonderin what the cost would be to get it;
A). resprayed the same colour (metalic burgundy) or
B). resprayed metalic black.
if anyone has had there VS or VR resprayed then id love to here what it cost you and where you got it sprayed.
cheers.

Torquen

Boost FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
450+ HP FORD XR6T
Oh and one other thing, i bought the car and it had a custom dash allready installed (see pics). when i drive it and sit on the speed limit i seem to be overtaking every one else. and if you set the speed alert on the speed limit itl start beepin when your 5km under it (according to the speedo). which i more likely to be incorect, the speedo or the speed alert and how do you rectify the problem?
any sugestions would be greatly apreciated.
cheers, jesse.

Attachments

• P03-05-06_21.32.jpg
    P03-05-06_21.32.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 168
  • P03-05-06_15.11.jpg
    P03-05-06_15.11.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 160

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
well the cost of panel and spray work is different everywhere you go, all comes down to how much work is involved and how good you want to job to be.
for a same colour respray you should be looking at somewhere around the $3-5k zone, lower ($2k-ish) if you do the prep work and strip the car down yourself.
for a different colour respray its gunna be alot, something like $6k-to as much as you wanna pay.
as i said if there's alot of panel work to be done, that will influence the cost, as will effects in the paintwork (candies,pearls,harlequins,etc.) but if you want just a standard factory colour respray and you cars pretty straight you shouldnt pay more than a coupla grand.

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
speed alert and speedo should be reading off the same info... so i'd say the dash is out since it's more likely for an aftermarket analogue dash to be out than a factory fitted digital speed alert.

hoppersvr

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commodore
sircruisealotvs is right every step of the way with the paint factors. when i was in a smash i had just under 4000 worth of repairs to the ass end of mi car and i got the rest of the car done for 2500 mind u they did a good job, kept the same colour but. and also alot of it depends even simple things like tkaing out door handles etc cos they dont wanna muck around doing tedious jobs.

hoppersvr

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commodore
sorri meant to say they painted the rest of mi car for $2500

Torquen

Boost FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
450+ HP FORD XR6T
ok, well i cheers! at least i got a ball park figure to work with now. im thinkin bout changin the colour to either metalic black or electric blue (pearl finish). so yeh.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
thats gunna cost you sh*tloads mate....hope you got some dosh....your lookin at about 6-7 coats possibly more depending how suble you want the pearl...ball park figure of 10k (at least)

Torquen

Boost FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
450+ HP FORD XR6T
um, yeh i no its going to cost big bucks but iv got a m8 who works at a spraypaint shop (apprentaship). his boss has allready agread to lend us the work shop for a weekend, all i have to do is pay for the cost of the paint, help out with the sandingback and buy my m8 a a case of bear. so im thinkin it shouldnt be 2 expensive. the paint shouldnt cost more than $1000.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
hmm, i dunno chief...if your goin to do a full new colour respray its gunna take longer than one weekend and there's alot to consider.
eg. removing every single piece of trim - door moulds, bailey channels, door handles, windscreens, any badges, head lights, tail lights, the whole interior (seats, door trims, everything)...then you have the motor which needs to be removed and everything else in the engine bay. (and i probably missed lots of other stuff too)
there's alot of work just in stripping the car down, then prep work with many hours and hours of sanding and filling..and sanding...and then primer, again followed by sanding...
finally you'll get to spraying the colour coats...then you need to do wet sanding/colour sanding...followed up by the clear coats with the pearl (if you end up doin pearl)
...thats a basic rundown of what you need to do for a full new colour respray...and thus why it costs so much to get done professionally, lots of work involved.
anyway man, i dont mean to rain on your parade, i just wanted to make you aware of how big a job it is..goodluck.