Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

buying a vs ute, common problems?

bognog

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
Hey everyone in the vr/vs forum. I am currently looking at buying a vs commodore ute. I've got my heart set on this particular car, so if yous could put me at ease that this car isn't going to cost me grands in the future, that be bloody awesome.

Specifically what i'd like to know is what could potentially be wrong with it, that would make someone decide against buying it. Keep in mind i would be willing to pay for anything that needed to be fixed, up to $1000.

I have previously owned a vs sedan. And it was an extremely awesome car, till i wrote it off, ha! When i took it to the garage to get it roadworth it need things like bulbs, the radiator hoses messed with, a gasket changed that costed a few hundred, and a few other things, and even though it cost me $1000 in total to get up to roadworthy state. I was happy with it. Given how much i paid and how much i could of sold it for.

I've heard of the transmissions being worn out. If the transmission was worn out, would it be plausable to put a second hand one on, if i got it installed cheap, given that the labor to install one is 500 dollars, getting it installed cheaply would be a great help.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
if your worried about a trans buy an ACdelco one they are $1750 all ready to go just need someone to install it
if your witty you can do it yourself ive pulled my trans out about 5 times now for maintainence and so i could get to my damn coil:p

other things are only really suspension bushes and what not so no biggie just be thorough when your checking the vehicle over before you buy it

bognog

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
boona15 said:
if your worried about a trans buy an ACdelco one they are $1750 all ready to go just need someone to install it
if your witty you can do it yourself ive pulled my trans out about 5 times now for maintainence and so i could get to my damn coil:p

other things are only really suspension bushes and what not so no biggie just be thorough when your checking the vehicle over before you buy it

Yeah man your gonna have to come back a few steps. I barely know where to start if i were to look at a car.

Ill give you an idea of what i know:

I'd check for chassis damage, engine mount damage, check all the lights work, make sure all the accessories work inside the car, drive the car, feel how it drives, listen to it for a while, rev it low, rev it hard, make sure it's not overheating, check the tires, get underneath the car, check it for oil leaks, figure out what it needs to be roadworthy, get a feel for the tranny see if it's engaging properly. push down on the car to see if the suspension is working properly.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
i was just saying thats how much it is for a new trans in a vs... to give you a rough idea
but your spot on with my ideas of being thorough with the checkover
just make sure your happy with how it works before you buy and youll be right:king:

B

bns-sticky

Manual or auto? What is the tray conditon like? If its got a heap of scrathes and dints its doe soem hard work. Really have a good look under neither crawl under if need be. Look for build up of dirt etc, depends where it comes from too. Check under all the edges for build of **** that leads to rust etc.

I have had a few problems with my VS Series II ute but nothing bigy.

bognog

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
bns-sticky said:
Manual or auto? What is the tray conditon like? If its got a heap of scrathes and dints its doe soem hard work. Really have a good look under neither crawl under if need be. Look for build up of dirt etc, depends where it comes from too. Check under all the edges for build of **** that leads to rust etc.

I have had a few problems with my VS Series II ute but nothing bigy.

Auto.

Tray condition? I honestly dont know.

Those are good tips. Thanks man.

I think the biggest things here are the motors literally ****ed, and shits about to bust up in it at the drop of a hat. And/or, the trannys on it's way out, and it needs some gaskets that are at the bottom of the motor and the motor needs to be ripped up to replace them.

If the motor and tranny are fine, the most it's prob gonna cost me is a grand, like my old vs.

Everyone agree with that?

B

bns-sticky

for $1000 sounds cheap and will have problems some where. I paid $13000 for my ute feb 2005

A new motor and gearbox for it would be around $6000 plus install you may be able to get cheaper.

bognog

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
I never said the car costs $1000.

The car is in fact 3800.

VSSII

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5.0 Ute
If you can afford it look for an 8. They often get a bit more TLC than the workhorse 6's. Mine spends most of its life doing Highway driving and coz of the light weight I get V6 type economy as long as I behave.