Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Broken boot lid gas strut mount

DJ Ice

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 VE Calais V
Wondering if anyone else has had the problem of the boot lid gas strut mounting tearing off the undeside of the metal under the parcel shelf. The metal has cracked and through use it's just about torn the whole mount off...spot welds and all. Not looking forward to getting it fixed...pain in butt small job for panel beater ! If anyone else has had the same problem..how much did it cost to get fixed ?

vsv8berlinawag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II 5 ltr Berlina Wagon
Had the same problem a few years ago with my Berlina sedan. I fixed it myself by carefully taking out the back rest of the rear seat and and then taking the covering off the rear parcel shelf. At your local hardware store buy as many (1/4" x 1/2" I think) bolts as there are spot welds with matching lock nuts and washers. You will then need to drill (5/16" ?) out the hinge brackets thru the spot welds and then replace these (one at a time to keep alignment) with the the bolts. As I said it's been quite a few years since I did this but I'm pretty sure that's what I did.

Last edited:

DJ Ice

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 VE Calais V
Thanks for the reply...but it's not that easy the actual metal the spot welds are attached to has broken off the rear deck as well !

metalmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais
metalmac

Try drilling a small hole and screwing in some short fat self tapping screws that is what i have done and it works A OK

kirkson

Captain
Reaction score
Members Ride
93 vr v6 exec duel fuel
I reccon that problem was a GM recall issue many years ago, looks like yours wasn,t sent back, you should contact GM direct and ask the question, they will probably tell you where to send it to be repaied free of charge.
Regards Kirk