Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Coolant and Operating Temp

• Thread starter The LIE that is Holden
  • Start date
T

The LIE that is Holden

Ok, now I know that every 1 seems to think that its ok 4 ur VR temp gauge to sit on half and maybe got up a bit when u flog it.......

But, my 260k Klm VR V6 is definetly getting tooo HOT. Ive had 2 new tanks put on the radiator and the core flushed. Ive replaced the water pump, thermostat, fan relay, ECU Temp sender, temp gauge sender, Injectors, O2 sensor, Rad cap, Pressure flushed the system, tried another temp gauge....

Normaly everyday driving sees the gauge on half but under any load mainly going up hills it really gets up there!!! I was towing a trailer up a hill and the temp gauge couldnt go any further up!!!! She was really hot, had to pull over and let it cool down!!!

Car still has plenty of power, blows a little smoke on cold start up (valve stem seals).

Has extractors and 2 1/4 inch exhaust, no fault codes appear!!

Any other suggestions???

TheIceman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Ex-cop
check for blown head gasket.

is the block clear and not blocked in any way?

you had the radiator flushed? was it also cleaned? maybe take it out and get it flow tested again.

T

The LIE that is Holden

compression is fine, coolant stays green and oil stays yellow. I used compressed air to blow water through the galleries but without strippin the motor how else can u tell if there blocked????

The radiator was dismantled and had 2 tanks put on it, cleaned and flushed. It only seems to be when its under any sort of decent load that it gets hot. Most days in Cairns are about 32-34 deg as well, so its warm with just normal driving.

genIIIbandit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series II SS BLACK M6
Calm down dude, before u go acussing holden of lieing, lets check some important facts, you say coolant is green, r u using a gm spec V6 coolant? This is very important as normal (green cordial) coolant is no good in gm V6's it reacts with the alloy in the motor. Next you say it blows smoke on cold start up, how do u know this is stem seals? This could also be ring shrinkage, due to cooking it. This is a common occurance when you get the motor very hot, temp gauge at max. In conclusion, being a mechanic, and not looking at your vehicle, i would suggest the problem is not Holden. Has a TK head check been done? this will tell u if combustion gases are entering your cooling system, which i am guessing is the problem, so therfore the heads need to come off, get shaved and checked, but i think this will still not solve the problem totally, you need to pull motor down and give rebuild or source second hand motor.
Dont mean to sound harsh, but we all love holdens hear, and it is upseting to see you acuse holden of lieing, when u havn't checked into it throughly, chill out, take a deep breathe and ask for HELP!!!! good luck

Infus10n

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Captiva (Work Demo)
genIIIbandit said:
good point, i'll go back to my rock and crawl under!

Was good advice though :p

T

The LIE that is Holden

Im using coolant that i bought from holden spare parts..... SO i would ASSUME its safe to use in a Holden???

Im probably gunna just run the 50 year old engine into the ground till it stops then look at another motor. Driving to work and back it dosnt give any dramas, only when i put some stress on it.

The LIE is that fact that Holden has been brainwashing the OZ population saying they are Australias own car when for basically its entire history in OZ its been sourcing cars/engines from overseas.

Oh yeah..... My housemate is a mechanic at Irelands Holden here in Cairns, and I asked him for help.....!

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
if you hate the car so much, why don't you sell it for pocket money and leave us to enjoy our cars