Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Battery?? Prices??

futronix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 MY12.5
well the car wouldnt turn over the other day.... had to call racv.... said the battery was gone.....

I wasen't quite sure to believe him as we've been having trouble with starting the car for a few months and was told by several people (including another racv man) that the battery was fine and it might be the starter drawing too much current!!! (hence why the car would crank up slowly sometimes)

latest RACV dude confirmed that the starter MAy be the problem but after testing the battery he assures me its had its life (4 years old)

Whats the equivelent to a RACV battery (standard for a VS) as he quoted me $112.00 (standard), he says marshall uses the exact same battery with just a different sticker n marshal sells them for $130...

What has other people paid for a new battery from say repco, autobarn etc?? and could anyone suggest an alternative brand for cheaper that will do the same job....

Cheers

M

medz84

i paid 100 dolars for a century one never had a problem with them if your budget is not bad then id go a reco starter to if your having problems with it too escpecially if you plan on keeping the car at least you know it will be new

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
When you change your battery you'll probably find your starter will be sweet again.

112 is a reasonable price. I'm about to buy a sealed unit so I'm in for a bit of cash I think.

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
I paid $80 for mine.. A century one..

Good ole 20% off sale.. I also got a speeding ticket for $133 for going 5km/h over, on my way there..

Oh dear.. Shouldn't be more then $100..

VLishes

BaZMeG
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais SII
I bought a Century for $100 a couple of years ago and I neverhad any probs, looks like I need to buy one soon, old batt is dying.

futronix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 MY12.5
cheers thanks for your reposnses....

by the sounds of it I can get one for 'lil cheaper, ill try repco n I also got a 20% voucher so i guess ill be able to save a bit.... well at least my 'ol lady will....

I pressume they (century) come with a 2 year warranty as most car batteries do??

not_just_any_vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr executive
go to super cheap

super force-standard duty -6month warranty-approx $65

bosh silver-2 year warranty-approx 95

bosh gold 3 year warranty approx 104.99

they all come from century yuasa. and are all 11plate batteries, just vary in cranking amps.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
As a general rule you get about 2 reliable years out of a lead acid battery. You may be able to push on for 3 years but it may become unreliable after the 2 years. I like to change mine every two years or so. It saves you time broken down on the side of the road and $100 really isnt that expensive for a reliable battery for 2 years. I would start by changing the battery. When the battery dies and struggles to turn the car over it puts strain on the starter motor and you end up shortening its life too.

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
I paid $107 for a sealed battery. staff prices. hasn't given me hassles yet, but it's only been about 3 months

noah_73

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon
What about a Cat (Caterpillar) battery? Should be around the $130 mark but is a 650 CCA battery which should last quite a few years.