Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

URGENT help needed!!

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
aaaaaaarrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhhhh.

I was just picking my gf up from work and noticed the power steering disappeared a couple of times for a few seconds. I reasoned this can not be good since the power steering pump is driven by the drive belt.

I noticed the battery light had come on on the dash and it didn't take very long to realise this meant the drive belt was slipping or gone!

A quick glance at the temperature gauge confirmed my worst fears as it was at the highest reading possible without snapping off the needle. I immediately pulled over to find that my goddamn tensioner bearing shat itself and seized, causing the drive belt to come off.

I waited for the engine to cool, and luckily my regular mechanic was just around the corner, so i babied it around there and parked in front of their shop.

I am going to have to call them tomorrow morning the minute they open so they don't tow me and get them to replace the tensioner.

My URGENT question (need to know by tomorrow morning) is how much does a tensioner cost new, and how much second hand. I am likely to get charged something ridiculous unless I know a base price.

I am also VERY worried about what damage may have occured due to overheating. I don't think the problem existed for too long, so I may be OK. If not, what sort of damage can I expect to have to pay for?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
You shouldn't need a new tensioner - just a new belt - about $30....and that should be it unless you've cooked the motor which, (cross your fingers and toes)
with a bit of luck you haven't. Generally, if you do not have overheating indications , e.g. missing or steam, then you should be OK. But just keep your fingers crossed and good luck.

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
no I do need a new tensioner. The pulley bearing has shat itself and the pulley is seized and sitting at a funny angle. What I really need to know is what would be a fair labour charge for a mechanic to fix this, since the car is miles from my house, happens to be parked outside my regular mechanic, and cost of towing is huge.

noah_73

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon
Tensioners are pricey from memory and they are a pain to fit too. Request a used one as the tensioners themselves are usually pretty good, it's the bearing failure that causes the damage.

T

toddgalloway

mine did the same thing. power steering went. i looked under the bonnet and no belt. turned out that one of the bearings went. bought a new belt and bearing for $70 for the both. putting the bearing on was easy. the belt was a little harder but able to do it with myself and my mrs making sure the belt was on straight. only took about 20 mins start to finish

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
Turns out I could have done it myself if the damn car was closer to home. I'm being quoted $90 to replace the pulley and bearing, but also requested a cooling system presure test in case there is any head damage.