Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ECOTEC V6 DRAMAS (oil thickener miss-use)

evil_monkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
ok well i just bought this mint 95 vs v6 colum shift ute a few days ago.

only to find when i ring holden and asked them about the service history on the vehicle they told me a few things nothing major and one thing that i also noticed a rocker cover gasket leak.

now what happened was the idiot that owned the car freaked when they told him that the rocker covers were leaking he promptly took the vehicle and to what seems to me tried to add engine oil thickener to stop the leak but instead of stopping the leak he has filled the engine full of dried out sludge i guess he either didnt do it properly or put to much of it in...........

keeping in mind this car has very low kms for its age (109000) its a one owner with full log books all backed up by holden first thing i would like to know is how anyone can be so stupid ???

anyway back to the problem the car itself runs fantastic you cannot fault it the dried out sludge worries me though. properly following instructions we ran that engine flush additive in it twice yesterday for 15 minutes on idle then drop the oil the first time the oil came out pitch black and fairly thick the second time it came out dark coffe colured and not so thick now i plan to stick some cheap vavoline oil in it and a cheap oil filter and run it for about 500 kms to try dislodge that little bit more of that stuff then drop it and put castrol magnatec (used to use it on my vt) and ryco oil filter.

is there really much else i can do ?? my dad seems to think that it should be ok seeing is how great the car actually runs and that it dosent blow any smoke or anythin else

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
when our work cars get like that our mechanic flushes the block wit kero. no idea how but that's what they use

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
If it's not blowing then at least the oil isn't leaking into anywhere it shouldn't be..

I think what you've said above is a decent course of action... possibly run the cleaner through a couple of times again until you are happy with the colour.. some people may say magnatec is a bit thin for the vs ecotec.. perhaps look at one of the thicker GTX oils.

evil_monkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
mattman said:
some people may say magnatec is a bit thin for the vs ecotec.. perhaps look at one of the thicker GTX oils.

not to thick i hope :p lol yeah i might look at some different oils next service im also running my vs sedan on that stuff to and i have about 12 litres of the sh!t to get rid of.

ill see how the car runs on the weekend ive only had the pleasure of driving the car twice, once when i test drove it and once on the long drive home from scarbourah to thornlie when i picked it up on wednesday.

i had it ready for service the next day because i knew it was in bad need of one, along with the oil flush ive flushed the radiator put a new thermostat in (preventative maintenence i suppose) got a new fuel filter and im waiting on a cai and k&n filter to arrive from ebay and a level 2 instrument cluster because my utes a colum shift poverty pack i have a level one cluster!!

also gota go to holden saturday mornin get a new set of keys a new a/c switch :w00t:

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Sounds like it's comin good :)

Lets us know how easy the instrument cluster is.. I may look at it myself depending on what new vs I end up with.. I have this horrible feeling it'll be an exec so may need ot upgrade. Good wagons are hard to find :(

evil_monkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
well youd have to be terribly unlucky if you end up getting an exec with a cluster like myne, i have an exec sedan and it has level 2, this ute that i bought has been the first vr/vs ive ever seen with a level one cluster

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
oh well i want the trip computer etc... my esteem just had the tacho... but it's not really that important either i guess... just one of those things to do down the road somewhere.

evil_monkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
im so anxious to get the car up and running !!!!!!!!! ive been thinking about it all day

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
One member recently posted and said that he put a bit of diesel in the oil and run the car for a few mins then drained it. Came out like water he reakons or something like that. Then he got a mate to block the oil drain hole down the bottom and the hole that the oil filter fitting has and blew down the dipstick tube. Reakons he got a heap of gunk out. Do a search and see if you can find it.

evil_monkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
yeah i read about that ill wait and see how the oil looks when i dump it after 500 kms