Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS duel fuel, Which oil is best? Spark plug gap??

futronix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 MY12.5
I was gonna dive into doing a service on the VS sometime next week,
What would anyone reccommend as to which Brand of oil & weight of oil I should use...

I have been using "Castrol GTX 15W 40" (for duel fuel) and haven't had any probs with it but just wondering if theres any harm in using Oil not made for duel fuel?

Also a while back took the car to the mechanics as it was running like shitee..and he gapped the sparkies @ 1.5mm and it seemed to run better.. Why would there be such a difference in gap size from stock to a car running duel fuel??

Cheers

vs_wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6 Wagon and VT Exec V6 Wagon
I know this question is 18 mths old, but still just as relevant now.

I'm interested in the spark plug gap. I've read 1.5mm and I've read 0.9mm. Which is best for a dual fuel ecotec?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
LPG is not as volatile as petrol so its a bit more particular about the quality of the spark produced, The smaller the plug gap, the hotter the spark as there is less voltage required to get it across the gap as such. The hotter spark gives you a better chance of igniting the LPG.

Chirpstr

A new project attack
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina M5, VP M5
It is abit tricky to get both gas and petrol running smooth it's ethier one or the other that is a perfect...

dufus

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
rickshaw
When I used to run gas I was told that it was best to run a plug the is one heat range colder, and a gap that is 0.1mm smaller then the normal plug.

vs_wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6 Wagon and VT Exec V6 Wagon
Thanks for the advice. I'll see what they're currently at, it's running OK as is.

When do I know it's time to change the sparkies? Apart from when my car won't start...

dufus

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
rickshaw
I always changed mine once a year or every 20,000 km when i was running gas on advice from a mechanic.

Chirpstr

A new project attack
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina M5, VP M5
Every 20,000km? Well it's got to be at least twice that period for petrol.