Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR or VS?

muso

Reaction score
Members Ride
BA xr6 turbo Heinrich tuned to 300 rwkw's
I been looking at VR and VS wagons which are getting quite cheap now albeit with higher km's.

I realise that the VS with the new engine etc is probably the better car to buy but the VR's are very cheap now and a good buy, I was looking at 2 at one stage the VR had ABS and the VS didn't both were similar condition and km's, they were both pretty rough and priced around the 3K o.n.o. mark, it was a hard decision the ABS of the VR versus the Ecotec engine of the VS. In the end I missed out because the VR sold and the VS felt pretty rough to drive so I didn't get either.

But either a VR or VS wagon would be an ideal 2nd car for the family, it is just the question of whether the VS is that much better that it's worth waiting for or paying more for (I don't want to spend much so my choice is limited) and VR's just like VP's are getting cheaper now and are a good buy.

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Get whatever you find has been looked after the most with the least amount of KM's... they're much the same car.

VS should be more economical though.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
because you mentioned it being for a family car id say get a vs..they're much smoother to drive and a little easier on the pocket at the bowser.
also just to add, be wary of those "bargain" cars...there's usually a reason they are really cheap and in the long run if there's something really wrong with it paying the extra grand or so for a good sound car might worth while.

M

medz84

i like the vr better ive got a vr wagon if your after performance than i prefer a vr as ive never lost to a vs theres a few nore options in a vs but if you get a series 2 vr theres not much difference besides the motor i paid 3000 for my vr with a new 2 half inch exhaust dual tips which has receipts for 350 also wood steering wheel lowered full log books and its been recently resprayed in 2 pac white so its really neat i put a front clubby bar on it as well just shop around try to find something neat and looked after and you probably have minimum problems

betts

Reaction score
Members Ride
b
i bought a 1993 vr executive about 2 months ago, it had done 185000 and cost me $3250, because the body was in bad shape and there was some rust on the body (none on chassis). its been a good car and hasnt let me down, and like everyone says, just look around theres good cars out there (both vr and vs) that have been treated well and will last u a long time.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
lol...how typical, all the people with vs's say get a vs...all the people with vr's say get a vr.
i spose thats just to be expected.

V

vrberlina5sdp

gday,, a few of my mates have vs and i have a vr series 2, my vr is quicker and more reliable, i think being the series 2 motor all the bugs have been fixed where the ecotech hasnt in the vs.

my vr berlina has done 320,000km, motor still goes like gold.

muso

Reaction score
Members Ride
BA xr6 turbo Heinrich tuned to 300 rwkw's
Thanks guys, you are all right in saying you only get what you pay for.

I also forgot to mention I didn't want this to turn into a VR/VS war and I'm not concerned about which is faster, they both go well enough for me, it's more the reliability aspect and they are both reliable, I agree that series 2 VR's may have less bugs than series 1 VS's but then you have the reduced NVH of the VS, further more they are all pretty old cars now so there really probably isn't much between them in how they drive. At the end of the day it's the reliability which counts for me, I have heard of some bugs with the early VS's Ecotecs but I think they were probably ironed out in 1995/96. What the VR really has over the VS is that it is cheaper to buy simply being an earlier model, for the price it may be the better buy for me, some VS's in good nick are being advertised at prices in VT and even VX territory (10 to 13K)

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
You can get a bad VS and you can get a good VR. You can get a good VS and a bad VR. The ecotec engine doesnt bring the huge fuel saving that most people think, the results arent much at the end of the day. The big difference in fuel is how hard you ride it. Find something you like that runs well. Problems people have in a VR on here are exactly the same as a VS, so I wouldnt worry about being model specific or series specific (eg series one or series two). If your willing to put time into it (and a bit of money) you can make them run really nicely, as long as they havent been thrashed too hard.