Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

help VS conversion

K

KuD

hey people..

I have recently rolled my 95 VS executive 5 speed and was quoted 7k+ to fix like new...

so instead i am currently looking at another VS, 96 Acclaim same colour for alot cheaper, however it is Auto and if i got it i would like to convert it to manual using the 5 speed from my other VS...

has anyone done this before? if so could i plz have some details, eg what exactly needs to be changed, difficulty, time, problems encountered etc.

Cheers

C

charged6_vsacclaim

vs manual conversion

g'day mate,
sorry to hear bout you rolling your car lucky your not dead, me and my mate did a conversion on his car auto - manual. there was a bit of stuffing around because he got the box out of a vn so that was bout the only thing he could have used. it is a bit easier in your situation but because u have all the parts from your old car, the things that need to be changed is the crossmember the metal heat sheild that sits inbetween the box and the console it is usually pop rivited to the floor of the car, the plastic console plate as it will now be manual, the pedals coz u now have a clutch and im pretty sure we changed the tail shaft too. but thats about it. the wole conversion took us about two nights to do all up. hope i have been of some help to you. good luck.

C

charged6_vsacclaim

hi i did forget a couple of things you also need the wiring harness off ur old car and the stater motor off ur old car, also the tail shaft you doo need as it is different length to the auto.

Haze

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
normally i would say dont bother due to the fact that there is plenty of work and the parts you would need are very hard to come across and could end up costing u a pretty penny but if you have the parts from your other vs then i say go for it cause i would like to hear of a successful conversion that didnt cost more than the car itself

C

charged6_vsacclaim

my mates conversion only cost him about $1300 to do.

Haze

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
nice...
a friend of mine was determined to get a manual and if we couldnt find one i considered mentioning cvonversion but apparently the parts are too rare to find and are pretty expensive and also adding in the labour but 1300 thats nice
so he has no problems with it>?

C

charged6_vsacclaim

if you no were too look the parts arent that rare and not that expensive. since he put it in all he had to do was replace the clutch as it was a second hand box. but apart from that it's like it rolled out of the factory as a manual

K

KuD

Thanks for the help guys :thumbsup:

I don't pick up my new VS until tomorrow arvo so i wont be able to start until after that, ill keep you updated...

until then here are a couple pics of my rolled VS :(

View attachment car.zip

Haze

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
wow thats pretty nasty
but atleast ur side indicators seem to have survived lol.

C

charged6_vsacclaim

geez mate that must have been scary. good luck with the conversion