Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Changing Springs and shocks

HIROLLA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII CAPRICE
Hi guys

I have been quoted $384.00 for the King Springs super lows (50mm) and a pair of rear monroe shocks.

My Question is do i only need new rear shocks for the springs? Would i be able to get away with not buying new ones for the front?

Also how hard is it to put the springs on your self? And how hard is it to change over the rear shocks? Are the front the same as the rears?

Anyhelp would be great guys :)

Thanks

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
1) it is always recommended changing shocks and struts at the same time, as OE units do give up in time.
2a) piece of cake if you have spring compressors. I bought some from ricerbarn for $20 about a month ago
2b)even easier than the fronts. no compressor needed.
2c) no. front are a macpherson strut system, which has the spring around the strut. rears the springs mount on the trailing arm, shocks mount directly to the diff.

HIROLLA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII CAPRICE
TheForgotten said:
1) it is always recommended changing shocks and struts at the same time, as OE units do give up in time.
2a) piece of cake if you have spring compressors. I bought some from ricerbarn for $20 about a month ago
2b)even easier than the fronts. no compressor needed.
2c) no. front are a macpherson strut system, which has the spring around the strut. rears the springs mount on the trailing arm, shocks mount directly to the diff.

Thanks mate :)

Do you think it will be ok if i dont change the front? If not then ill keep the stock ones on there as front shocks are $240 a pair.

So all i need are the spring compressors and shes sweet? Like these? http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4627618530&fromMakeTrack=true

Do i need any special tools apart from that to remove them?

I have some knowledge about how cars are put together so i shouldnt really have a problem changing the springs and shocks?

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
i surpuse the other question is, is your car IRS or live axel [ aka solid axel ]

HIROLLA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII CAPRICE
Yea i asked that in another thread. Its IRS

Cheers

Demons1964

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais, WHII Statesman V8, VC L 202
Having IRS, it would be madness not get a camber kit fitted. Premature rear tyre wear on cars with IRS cars is something you want to avoid.

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
yep those compressors will be perfect.
IRS shouldn't be a hassle, but (if I understand right) IRS springs have a different shaped spring seat, and the spring might need a bit of "convincing" with a crowbar, or use compressors to fit them.

SaGe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II S-PAK Manual
if ur car doesnt have IRS, then its quite easy to fit lowered springs, just jack up the car on the chassis stands and the springs just about fall out, then u just place the new springs into position. but make sure u change the shocks aswell.

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
VSRUMBLE said:
Thanks mate :)

Do you think it will be ok if i dont change the front? If not then ill keep the stock ones on there as front shocks are $240 a pair.

So all i need are the spring compressors and shes sweet? Like these? http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4627618530&fromMakeTrack=true

Do i need any special tools apart from that to remove them?

I have some knowledge about how cars are put together so i shouldnt really have a problem changing the springs and shocks?

You will need to change the front struts as the shock is what cages the spring. If the spring comes uncaged in a VR VS the bearings can fall out of the strut.