Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Gearbox problems

Smack_SPAK

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Spak
When i put my foot down and it changes down a gear it slips and just revs it. Is it expensive to put a new auto gearbox in? i got another VR wreck with just some front end damage in my drive, can i transplant that one into my Spak?

ScottB_33

Go Hard or Go Home
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Berlina Supercharged
Ah!!! If it was all that easy I'd be out of a job. For a full reco box with about 3yrs and 60,000klm warranty from an accredited ATRA dealer it may cost you around $1500 - $1800 dollars to replace. From a backyard repairer a fair bit cheaper but forget about any warranty. From a wrecker and you do all the work and again very little warranty, your still talking about $800 for the box alone. You still have to replace the torque convertor and there is the issue of a 12pin or 13pin box. Each is different!!! One is interchangeable with the other but at this time of the nite I cant remember which way it goes. :bang: So in answer to your question NO is the option for cheap repair.

Smack_SPAK

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Spak
could it be repaired then? i got a warranty to pay up to $800 for "The internal lubricated parts of both manual and automatic transmissions (excluding transfer casses and worn converter clutch)"

ScottB_33

Go Hard or Go Home
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Berlina Supercharged
It certainly could be repaired for you and if the parts are listed in your Warranty booklet and you have followed all the requirements regarding servicing and alike it certainly may be covered. Check your oil level though to make sure that is not what is causing it to slip, as a low transmission level can cause them to slip even though nothing internally may be wrong!! I would strongly recommend you to take the vehicle to an authorised ATRA Dealer (Automatic Transmission Rebuilders Association member) they are in the phone book. Discuss your problem with them as they and you are covered by a code of conduct, very professional.

SaGe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II S-PAK Manual
yea ScottB_33 is right, the reason it might be slipping is cos u havent got enough transmission fluid in it. thats the most common cause in an auto slipping. check ur fluid levels and perhaps u should service ur transmission. id do that first b4 thinking bout spending money on a new gearbox