Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS alternator

CANYONERO

Likes Cheese...
Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 6spd wif MOMO leavaa.
First up, hey guys this is my first post.

yesterday my batt light went on and i had flat battery, so i got the car home and took the alternator off and took it to my local auto electrical place to get it looked at ( about 8 months ago i had the exact same symptoms and it was the brushes) but this time the B+ wire was cooked about 15cms from the alternator down which i fixed today. I went back to the auto elec place to see what was wrong with the alternator and they said the rectifier? and b+ wire and to completely fix would cost about $220 or $300 for a new replacement. Im wondering is this what a new alternator is worth or i get one cheaper somewhere else if i look around? also i run a sub and amp with a H/D batt so would it be worth to get a heavier duty one and roughly what are they worth? would it be viable to get a second hand one instead? has anyone bought one recently who can help me out? cheers

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
bosch ones are expensive, if your wanting an upgrade the you could go to the vt 100 amp alternator, yours now would be the 85 watt bu that would have no worries working your sub and amp

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
I have a VT alternator fitted to my VS Calais. It needs a few bits in addition to the alternator itself (which is a 120 watt unit not 100). Slee's Electrical Service (03) 5975-2900 used to supply an alternator and installation kit (in 1998). Not sure if they are still in business but you could give them a try.

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
ask around, i got my alteranator on exhange plus 100 bux when mine died.. get a 6mths warranty too..

CANYONERO

Likes Cheese...
Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 6spd wif MOMO leavaa.
cheers guys, i found a VS bosch one new for $200 so i think i'll grab it.

noah_73

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon
Didn't think anyone bothered reconditioning V6 alternators because of the price they come brand new.

Tuddles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Ute 5 speed 221.48rwkw
Most of the wreckers will sell reconditioned alternaters

theburna

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman
most of the wreckers sell secondhand,cleaned up, as recons.
I ma getting a nwie fitted tomorrw at Wyee, Newcastle for $180 with a 2 year warranty.