Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

running cold

shamden22

shamden22
Reaction score
Members Ride
vr executive
hi guys
does anyone have a suggestion to my vr v6 running too cold i thought the thermostat was jammed open so i pulled it out today and replaced it but it still runs cold the thermostat was ok that came out.if i sit at the lights with it in drive it will heat up enough to make the thermo fan kick in but highway driving the needle wont reach the first notch on the gauge this is a problem for me because its pretty thirsty on fuel obviously because the ecu is trying to compensate for a cold engine any ideas.:whistling

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
So you're saying that the needle isnt working properly on the instrument cluster?

shamden22

shamden22
Reaction score
Members Ride
vr executive
i mean the engine is running cold and the gauge works properly

kirkson

Captain
Reaction score
Members Ride
93 vr v6 exec duel fuel
try unpluging the fan at the radiator or just remove the fan relay, go round the block and see if your guage is working, at least that will isolate that problem , dont forget to reconect fan or relay.
regards Kirk

Don Sutton

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Acclaim
shamden22 said:
hi guys
does anyone have a suggestion to my vr v6 running too cold i thought the thermostat was jammed open so i pulled it out today and replaced it but it still runs cold the thermostat was ok that came out.if i sit at the lights with it in drive it will heat up enough to make the thermo fan kick in but highway driving the needle wont reach the first notch on the gauge this is a problem for me because its pretty thirsty on fuel obviously because the ecu is trying to compensate for a cold engine any ideas.:whistling
If the thermostat has been tested and opens at the correct temperature it doesnt matter what the gauge shows as this is just an indicator. There are two sensors in the block below the thermostat housing (I'm assuming here that this is the same setup as VS). One is for the temperature gauge and does not affect the ECU. The second temperature sensor in the block sends a signal to the ECU and this is the critical one for fuel economy. I'm at work at the moment and the workshop manual is at home so I can't give further details. If you have the Scientific Publications/Gregory workshop manual, it gives the details for voltages at different temperatures. This sensor ultimately controls the fan cut in temp via the ECU. If all else fails you could try masking part of the radiator with a piece of cardboard and see if this raises the temperature. It might be worthwhile investing in a good multimeter with temperature probe so you can find out what temperature the engine is really running at.

noah_73

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon
Don Sutton said:
If the thermostat has been tested and opens at the correct temperature it doesnt matter what the gauge shows as this is just an indicator. There are two sensors in the block below the thermostat housing (I'm assuming here that this is the same setup as VS). One is for the temperature gauge and does not affect the ECU. The second temperature sensor in the block sends a signal to the ECU and this is the critical one for fuel economy. I'm at work at the moment and the workshop manual is at home so I can't give further details. If you have the Scientific Publications/Gregory workshop manual, it gives the details for voltages at different temperatures. This sensor ultimately controls the fan cut in temp via the ECU. If all else fails you could try masking part of the radiator with a piece of cardboard and see if this raises the temperature. It might be worthwhile investing in a good multimeter with temperature probe so you can find out what temperature the engine is really running at.

What he said!