Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sectioned pod filter

SaGe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II S-PAK Manual
hey all,

i was just wondering about a pod filter, i know they suck a lot more air, cos i used to have one but it sucked in a lot of hot air from the engine and i didnt like it so i put the stock box back in. but if i put a pod filter back on and i got a metal plate to section it off from the rest of the engine bay ( so that no hot air got to it ) with a cold air intake scoop feeding cold air into the section, would it make much difference compared to having a cold air intake with a stock box???

im trying to get as much air as possible

genIIIbandit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series II SS BLACK M6
have u seen k & n 's new pod setup 4 ls1's? It is as you describe, a sectioned off area, but with rubber at top of box to create seal with bonnet. Dont know how well they work or dyno figures, but the idea seems like a winner, pics are on there website

SaGe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II S-PAK Manual
well my mate gave me the idea and he did it on his skyline and said it made a huge difference, i just wasnt sure with my VS cos ppl hav told me putting on a K&N pod filter onto an ectoec doesnt make a difference

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Yeah a few people have done it with good results.

Ask sircruisealotVS... he has done one up and has had better results than either unshielded pod or CAI.

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
i saw someone on the forum who had a pod with a shiels going into his CAI, looked pretty good, i think he got it from autobarn

Haze

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
pod filters are un road worthy due to the sound now somethign ive wondered since i first ever heard of this topic was if it is confined to a box would that then make it road worthy or would the princibles still apply to it?

M

madmick

in wa, pod filters are legal they just cant be hanging off the pipe. they have to be mounted on something so they dont move.

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
In Vic they're legal.. But all the wiring has to be sorted out and it also has to meet emissions tests..

One cop said it's only legal if you don't have an intercooler..

If you put a Pod on a stock commy, chances are you'll be fine..

T

Todd_h86

In NSW you need to have it sectioned off with a shroud of sorts, this is for the noise and to seperate it from the engine bay, I got a mate to make a shroud out of a sheet of aluminium, then I got some hose and made a cheap cold air intake system by running it from the front of body, had to cut a hole but my god you can notice the difference! Only wish NSW werent so bloody strick on mods I love the sound a pod adds and also having a bit more cold air running around my engine bay!