Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Disabling torque convertor lockup - possible?

Clacker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec Series II
Hey guys,

Does anyone know if you can disabled the torque convertor locking up by removing a connector or wire? Prefer a switch if possible.

I have a section of road on the way home where people just can't sit at the limit and therefore my convertor keeps locking up and then releasing.

As the car is getting on and the convertor has been replaced before, I'm thinking this mod will go a long way in keeping the transmission healthy.

Thanks
Clacks

LowVp

VP Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Ute 3.8T T56
ooo in a VR/S i dunno but i could of done in it the VN/P box the wiring in them was quite simple

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Not sure if Dr Bob has the toolz to do that for a VS but on the VN-VR its easy to make them lock up earlier or later or whatever suits you. Id ask him if he can do it on VS if I was you : )

Clacker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec Series II
Thanks for replies. I know the TCC is controlled from the computer which worries me. I found this info on Google, its a 1995 4L60E from a Chev (yeah I know..)

I might check out the colour of my harness to see if it matches. I'll also run an ALDL program to make sure my trans temp doesn't increase too much at 90km/h.

Risky...but could pay off in the long run.

Clacks

Found there is a 12-wire (I'm pretty sure it's 12,
but not critical for what we are gonna try) cluster that plugs into the top
right front of the fluid pan. The tan wire with the black stripe is the one
that actuates the lockup. (This is somewhat irrelevant to you, but to prove
my theory worked:I spliced into this wire, leaving it attached at both the
tranny and the computer, theorizing it was not completing to ground the
lockup solenoid circuit. The l/u t/c solenoid has voltage applied at all
times and the computer merely completes/opens the ground going down this
cluster to the tranny to engage/disengage the lockup. I spliced a wire into
this brown w/blk. stripe and ran the free end into the floorboard under my
left dash, ran it thru a kill-switch[an old ignition switch w/key lock so I
could turn off and lock out my "system" to allow only me to be able to work
the lockup.) I continued thru this switch to a floor-mounted dimmerswitch
from some older car which I mounted onto my Blazer floorboard. Now, when I
want lockup, I key the added switch on, and actuate the dimmerswitch to
continue this wire to a screw in floorboard to complete ground. The car
immediately shifts into lockup.)

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
I would suggest that this idea, whilst being incredibly valuable in congested traffic, would become a hinderance to the longevity of your gearbox, should you fail to disengage it at lower speeds. an idea I had for my VR, was to have a switch system in place, where "closed" the tcc would engage/disengage as normal, and "open" would stop the TCC functioning entirely (keeping it disengaged), but alas, no-one with knowlege of wiring diagrams of VR's thought it was a good idea and hence would not allow me viewing of any diagrams (at the time I didn't know they were on the net and now I CBF)

Clacker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec Series II
traversleigh said:
diesn't the power button stop it from locking up???

I tried that, still locks up at same speed.

Clacks

Clacker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec Series II
TheForgotten said:
I would suggest that this idea, whilst being incredibly valuable in congested traffic, would become a hinderance to the longevity of your gearbox, should you fail to disengage it at lower speeds. an idea I had for my VR, was to have a switch system in place, where "closed" the tcc would engage/disengage as normal, and "open" would stop the TCC functioning entirely (keeping it disengaged)

This is what I want, there would be no danger of leaving the TCC engaged as the closed switch would still allow the ECU to control its operation.

My biggest concern is whether the ECU will just display a code or if it'll do something like put the transmission into "limp" mode.

I've found the at temp wire so I'll make sure at no time does the box run hotter than normal.

The wiring coloour is different to the Chev but my Gregories book lists the wire i'm after. The idea of cutting it leaves me uneasy but the gain (if all works well) will be worth it.

Clacks

smaddock

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Executive S2
Its easy to change in the chip. You can set it so it comes on at a higher speed. I did this in mine as standard, in 3rd, it locks up from ~55kmh upwards, and in 4th, locks up from ~80kmh upwards. I changed all these to lock up from around 90kmh up. You can also change at what throttle percentage you want it to come on at or disengage at :)

Clacker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec Series II
smaddock said:
Its easy to change in the chip. You can set it so it comes on at a higher speed. I did this in mine as standard, in 3rd, it locks up from ~55kmh upwards, and in 4th, locks up from ~80kmh upwards. I changed all these to lock up from around 90kmh up. You can also change at what throttle percentage you want it to come on at or disengage at :)

That is a backup plan, to go to Holden and get it changed.

I found another site that mentions the TCC can be disabled by disconnecting a wire on the brake pedal. This was on another american car with the same transmission. I'm sure the Commodore TCC disengages with brake input so there must be a wire there as well.

Clacks