Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steering problems?

cladiges

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS commodore exec V6
Hi guys
This is my first post, so any insight on my probem would be much apreciated.

I had the steering rack replaced on my 1996 VS commodore. its done prob bout 10,000km since fitting. My problem is that on fulll lock it seem to grind a little. mostly when it cold in the morning. could this be the power steering pump going???

Thanks very much:)

Demons1964

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais, WHII Statesman V8, VC L 202
Can you be a bit more descriptive with the sound? Is it a grinding like gears gnashing together or a groaning? And where exactly is the noise coming from? I think I know what the problem is (rubber grommett on the steering column) but I just need you to clarify the noise.

cladiges

Reaction score
Members Ride
tis a groaning noise. and it sounds like it coming from the base of the streeing colum. how would i go about fixing it? if thats the case?

Demons1964

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais, WHII Statesman V8, VC L 202
Have a look in the engine bay where the steering column shaft exits the firewall. You'll see a rubber grommet on the shaft. It's the friction between that dry grommit and the shaft rotating beneath it that gives you that groaning noise. You can use silicon spray as a temporary measure but you'll have to repeat it every few months (or less). Longer term option is to get some grease in there with a screwdriver (or similar tool) and rotate the wheel a few times to get it all moved about nicely. You may need to put the front of the car on stands to get access underneath.

Mark.

cladiges

Reaction score
Members Ride
ok. Ill have a look tomorrow. Thanks Heaps:)

Don Sutton

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Acclaim
1] If the steering wheel is held at lock and it groans it is the pump.
2] If it groans while turning the wheel it could be either the column dust seal or the pump.
If the symptoms are as in 2 then attack the grommet first and if that don't work rob the kids piggy banks for a pump.