Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Another supercharger question, need answers couldnt find in other threads!

B

built4girls

Hey,

Ive got a VS 1997 Manual. want to supercharge it, only want to run a max of 5 or 6 pound, just wondering will it be benificial to change anything else? and is my standard V6 Ecotec motor going to be able to take it?

Just want to find out as much as i can about it before i go ahead and do it.

Cheers
Cassie
:driving:

T

Tradewind

CAPA is just down the road from you, ring them for a chat. They should be able to make you :) maybe

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
there's heaps of threads on this champ, i know ive replyed to quite a few with amost exactly the same question being asked. (im not having a go at you, just cant understand how you couldnt find them)
but basically your getting a little bit optimistic about 5-6 pounds of boost if you only goin to have stock internals, i mean it'll handle it no worries, just a matter of how long it'll last,lol.
a fair bit will need to be changed over ( injectors and fuel rails, fuel pump, manifold and heads, cam, pistons, rods, crank, harmonic balancer...) and it wont be too cheap, getting a vs s/c engine might be the go instead of buying all the bits and piece for your current motor...
plus the compression of an ecotec is higher, preventing the use of much boost.

SaGe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II S-PAK Manual
on ur stock ecotec u can only really run 2-3 pound boost, not really worth it. if u really want to supercharge get the L67 Supercharged ECOTEC (Calais SII/Stateman SII), it runs 6psi stock and u can slap on a 10psi pulley and it can handle it without a problem best thing u can do and u'll beat any stock 5.0litre

T

Tradewind

Seems a lot of misinformation or peeps with no knowledge. Chech these threads http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/showthread.php?t=14731 and the next one as well for even MORE power http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/showthread.php?t=26783

ECOTEC seems strong to me :D , don't wuss out because ya mate "said". I am getting a system like Tuddles and Cent6 soon, wanna flog some L67's. I am under the impression those coupla lads are whipping skylines, HSVs (I don't want one) everyday of the week in their ECOTEC's

grigor

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive, R31, R33
V6's

I struggled through one of those posts and at 265rwhp it's only pulling 800lb.
When my pretty stock Skyline first went on on the rollers, it ran 225rwhp but was pulling nearly 1100lb.
Looks like that V6 needs a decent ecu (Haltec etc) as it's just revving but not making any top end power.

T

Tradewind

I think its 800 flat line all the way from 3000 to flat, your line would have been up then down lol, big lag at start to hey :D

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
Tradewind said:
Seems a lot of misinformation or peeps with no knowledge.

wtf is that supposed to mean? if thats in response to my post then back up your claim.

T

Tradewind

Atari

but basically your getting a little bit optimistic about 5-6 pounds of boost if you only goin to have stock internals, i mean it'll handle it no worries, just a matter of how long it'll last,lol.

CAPA has been selling kits with greater pressures than 5 psi for years for ECOTEC and been pretty successful. That should be evidence enough that ECOTEC can take more and more easily that you are suggesting. With Raptor and others now doing same it seems ECOTEC is rock solid. Even those CRS kits with low psi and no tuning haven't blown many up which speaks volumes for ECOTEC strength.

Go the ECOTEC, what a motor! These motors don't pop easily, takes a really dodgy dude to make it happen

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
i guarantee if you wack on a blower and run over the mentioned 5-6 pounds of boost with no other work done, it'll be rebuild time in a few years.
like is said (i dont know whether you read what i said or just scanned over it) ..the engine will take that kind of boost no worries, hell it'll take alot more, but if its a daily driver and you want it to last a while it's wise to do it right the first time replace certain internals with stronger/better items.