Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Broken throttle cable thread

J

Joes_meat

I was working on my car today and leant on my throttle cable.

Unfortunely it broke. The plastic thread that the two bolts bolt on to near the throttle body snapped in half.

I'm wondering if I need to replace the whole cable or if I can somehow replace the thread?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
You can only buy a cable complete and not the separate components....about $50 for a new cable....or maybe a secondhand one from the wreckers.

J

Joes_meat

I was hoping I could buy something like a thread with a split in it or something. Something that would slip over the cable.

J

Joes_meat

Some pictures to show a little more of my problem. The string is there so the car is still drivable. The thread has snapped between the two adjustment nuts.

Attachments

• 100_0539.jpg
    100_0539.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 513
  • 100_0540.jpg
    100_0540.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 450

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
ahh the old fradgile throttle cable strikes again.. gonna have to get a new cable by the looks of things, aint cheap either for memory!
goodluck!

J

Joes_meat

Damn. And all from trying to pull out an O2 sensor. Damn you plastic!

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
hope u wernt trying to undo it from the top? :my:
alls u gotta do is unplug the connector from the top and do the rest from the bottom
took me 10 minutes to change both sensors on the old mans vs from underneath... had i done it from above, it would have taken me bout twice the amount of time

Pretender

Brain function fading .
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pajero LWB Wagon, Power/economy what's that ???
Joes_meat said:
I was hoping I could buy something like a thread with a split in it or something. Something that would slip over the cable.

You can but the messing around and then potential damage to your cable makes a replacement cable the better option. The split bolts have sharp edges that can damage the cable very quickly due to the amount of use the cable encounters, that's why plastic is used originally.
So, buy a new cable and then you don't have to worry about until you next lean on it.

TrevVNVS

Reaction score
Just done it on my VS... took under 20 mins and bought the cable for a good price too... $60-80... head to Bursons (repco is a bit more... and autobahn... hahaha!). The car will drive fine with it broken for a while too... mine was broken for a fortnight or so. Nice easy job too! Best of luck!