Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Whiteline Suspension Kits

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Gday..

I'm looking at options to lower my upcoming vsII calais (yes i've finally decided i'm getting a calais), and depending on payout $$ for my old car I may be getting it lowered pretty much as soon as I get the car. Either that or exhaust, but if the $$ are there suspension comes first.

I've seen Whiteline do some pretty comprehensive kits, I'm looking at doing this properly - so complete kits are good. But I'm just wondering how much difference the below parts will make to the feel of the car. There's a $410 difference in the kits, so just wondering if the difference is worthwhile. The car will be lowered on the "flatout" springs set to about 50mm, the equivalent of superlows.

The standard "sports" kit:
front & rear springs
gas struts & shocks
front bump stops (i assume shortened)
rear camber/toe kit

The full package "the works" kit (in addition to the sports kit):
30mm adjustable front sway bay
18mm fixed rear sway bar
front radius rod bush kit (whatever that is)
front radius rod castor kit

there's also the option of the strut brace, which for <$200 may be worthwhile too.. but that could put me looking at a $2500 suspension package (installed), which is pretty nuts...

pricelist thingy is attached..

Attachments

• ck_vr-vssed_irs.pdf
    31.1 KB · Views: 392

97 SEN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS HSV SENATOR
One thing i noticed when i got my senator over my lowered v6 was that it just sits so flat around corners in comparison and isn't as harsh over bumps. i think the biggest difference is the sway bars. You really notice stiff sway bars when you go over a speed bump on the diagonal and really notice the improvment to handling around a corner.

the disadvantages to stiff sway bars are when your on real bumpy roads and bumps around corners.

the radius rod bushes basicaly stop the front wheels from folding back when you hit bumps and jump on the brakes. They'll probably need replacing if the car has some kms on it.

i'ld pay the extra $410 if you can afford it.

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Ok fantastic.. thanks.. this is more about handling that looks... although superlow looks damn good too :p

Now just to nag insurance... I'm liking that calais in the FS forum...

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
if you want really good handling matt check out k-mac...infinatley better than whiteline. k-mac fully adjustable coil over struts are the ducks-nuts, team them up with their unique swar bars and you'll be huggin the road like a cat aross carpet.
worth checking out man, i had a full k-mac setup in my vp, damn i loved the handling that thing had.

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Yep will check them out... how does the price compare? I assume a little more for the good gear...

My insurance has been finalised today and i didn't get quite what I wanted, so suspension is going to have to wait a while, but I'll probably invest in something good as if i get the car i'm eyeing off now (VS2 L67 Calais) i'll be wanting to hang onto it as long as i can.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
yeah, as expected you pay dearly for quality...i think the setup in my vp (which had everything done) cost like $3- 3.5k at the time (this was like almost 5yrs ago).
but damn it handled well and the ride was better than stock, even though it was lowered.

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
If your lowering then go the full package cause the Calais is rather rolly polly on stock swaybars... unless you learn to apply the throttle with more finness... I'm thinking of just upgrading the swaybars... I kinda like the spring rate now... it's a very nice ride on rough roads.

If you just want lowering for looks then
I'd go for 18's & SS lip spoiler first...& see how much that fills up the arches.

If you go the S/C route... then Good Luck in finding a Strut brace that fits !

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Heh yeah the strut brace idea was before i saw the S/C Calais...

It's all about handling, I can deal with a slightly rougher ride but i want it glued to the road :p

I'll probably go the full whiteline package.. the K-mac stuff sounds the goods but its worth about 1/4 of the car :S a bit insane..

But then... it all just has to wait for now...

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
mattman said:
Heh yeah the strut brace idea was before i saw the S/C Calais...

It's all about handling, I can deal with a slightly rougher ride but i want it glued to the road :p

I'll probably go the full whiteline package.. the K-mac stuff sounds the goods but its worth about 1/4 of the car :S a bit insane..

But then... it all just has to wait for now...

Depends how long your gonna hang onto it for... you'll love the L67 !

The first few times you floor it...you'll think your in a time warp cause it takes your mind a while to catch up... eh either that or it might just be me starting to go senile. :rofl:

I'm constantly think about a L67 VK / VH ...intercooled...cam... extractors...15-20 PSI...3.45 diff...5 speed manual...full on suspension...roll cage....he he he...weekend toy...just pipe dreams for now till I start getting payed a good wage again....will be glad to be earning $1K per week when I've finished training.

I'll need a house with a huge garage...cause I think I'm going to start a car collection... I'll make room for a LJ - XU1... and a SLR 3800...he he he another L67 hybrid...:driving: and :driving:maybe a HQ statesman with a LS1...

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Yeah planning to hang onto it for quite a while... this one will be looked after properly, i was pretty careful with the esteem (not careful enough obviously :p) but yeah it did get hammered on a few occasions.

I'm prepared to spend a decent amount on suspension, since i'll be keeping it a fair while, but obviously there are limits, i think over $2k is getting a little much, but that whiteline kit should come in nicely...