Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Recomended K's for Engine Rebuild

cacaman

Red is Faster
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Acclaim
I would just like to know what is the recomended k's that a engine has done for it to need a rebuild, are there tell tail signs? is there a specific age that the engine needs to be before its rebuild? why does it need a rebuild? and what are the benifits?

:king:

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
piston rings usually wear out, valve seats wear out, cooling system gets corroded, just wear and tear but there isnt any certain time period for a rebuild, a vn can ahve 500,000 kms on the clock and still go hard!
but usually u hear people swapping engines at 250,000-300,000 km's

Clacker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec Series II
boona15 said:
but usually u hear people swapping engines at 250,000-300,000 km's

Bugger, I'm at 242k!

Just recently the lifters have started to get noisy and stay that way.. It's been on LPG most of its life so I can't imagine they are sticking from **** in there... is it worth running lifter free just in case?

I've always run 20w50, I guess thinner oil at her age will offer no protection?

Clacks

SaGe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II S-PAK Manual
depends on the how engine has been treated, if its been thrashed or towed a lot of weight its gonna need a rebuild sooner than others

cacaman

Red is Faster
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Acclaim
Yea i have a vr and its just clocked over 200,000 and runs fine but ive only had the car since 170,000. Should i wait untill i notice a major difference in how the engine performs? Or how do i know there is a slow decline in its performance over time and im just gettin used to it. Also how much does it usualy cost?

So so many questions!! sory guys

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
do a compression test in the cylinders, both wet and dry test, check plugs, check coil pack, leads and injectors.
your cylinders should have about 100-160 psi with the compression test, usually anything under 100 psi leaks and burns oil, fouls plugs and gives crap fuel economy