Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

motor knocking

M

medz84

hello what would you think would be wrong when a v6 motor has a loud knock i know the motor is f&*ked but can anybody tell me exactly what they think it might be it wasnt circulating oil the light flashed and it sounds like the piston on number 2 i think suggestions please

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
could of dropped a big end bearing, blocking the pickup and running the cylinders dry????

M

medz84

common for the v6s arnt they? it has 288 thousand on the clock i was pressuming that was roughly what it was i wasnt flogging it either just started doing it then i had to get the car home i was bout 100 kms away from home

SaGe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II S-PAK Manual
boona15 is right, when u start hearing a loud knocking noise ur big end bearing is gone. lol it happened to mum falcon EA last year. dont know if its common among the V6s though can happen to any engine

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
more than likely by the sounds..... its not a common problem in commo's, isusu 1600 and 1800 had crankshaft issues and spun bearings at high revs

if you werent flogging it then im stumped on how it happened as bearings dont drop out unless theres something loose

M

medz84

well my mate i brought it ofrf flogged it but it drove sweet when i got it i flogged it sometimes but i drove it pretty soft for the last week or so before it died

M

medz84

also at my old work we had a few motors come in needing new motors with the same sound

SaGe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II S-PAK Manual
i cant tell u how it happens cos i dont know but ive come across a few cars with the problem. unless ur a skilled mechanic theres nothin u can but take it to someoene that is. lol hav ur wallet ready

M

medz84

yeah i sold it back to my mate i brought it off cant afford a new motor and rego i s coming up on it decided to save the money and get something else

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
well for a start if it was the bottom end bearing then your crankshaft is more than likely scored.... non repairable= new engine basically