Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Revs when starting

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
for a few months now , when i start the car cold the revs jump up to 2000 then stay at around 1000, then drop to normal idle around 750-800, anyone no why this is happening , is it cos ive started using synthetic oil??? it never used to do it before just strt and bang its doing just under 1000, i havnt reset the IACV or anything , just new fuel pump/filter plenum/tb clean and now run syn oil, onli really startd doin it since running syn oil??? any feedback on this would be great...btw theres no vacuum leaks either, onli does it wen i start car, even when hot ,but for longer when cold.

thanks
jamie

SaGe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II S-PAK Manual
usally its the MAF that makes it idle spastically.

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
the idle is fine , its onli when it starts up that it does this, driving along and stopping i got do probs , onli when starting

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
I agree sounds like IAC valve. Might have done something to it when doing TB clean. Check it.

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
ok thanks for the info guys, sounds like its that, i will check it out asap

thanks
jamie

clinster73

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina S2
Jamie_87 said:
ok thanks for the info guys, sounds like its that, i will check it out asap

thanks
jamie

Hey Jamie. I cleaned out my throttle body a few weeks ago and then noticed that my car would rev higher on start up only but not as high as 2000rpm it would only go to 1500rpm.
Anyway i pulled the IAC and it was coated in black soot and i cleaned it with carby clean and i also took out the MAF and there was the odd insect that was on the honeycomb wore of the MAF sensor. I didnt clean this with carby clean i cleaned it by bruching off the insects with a light paintbrush being careful not to stuff up the honeycomb wire.
And it fixed it. It doesnt rev as high anymore.