Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

crankseal leaking?

greatone

vuss
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss
i have a vs clubby manual and got told crankseal is leaking is that gear box, and does it take power from ur car?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Thats probably the rear main bearing oil seal which was a problem on early Ecotec motors...it will just leak oil and probably slowly get worse. The only power you may lose is if the oil leaks so bad that it gets on the flywheel and then onto the clutch plate which will cause the clutch to slip. If its just weeping I wouldn't worry but if its dripping continuously then I'd get it fixed.

greatone

vuss
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss
well that said its $150 to fix so cant be anything really bad but it has been leaking for awhile now never bothered to get it done, is crankseal part of the gearbox coz sometimes it makes abit of a noise when changin gears.

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
nope it's the very edge of the engine before the gearbox. noiosy gear changes could be as simple as needing a lil more trans fluid, or it could be synchro's dying

greatone

vuss
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss
so what does it affect, and how much does it cost to get someone to put tras oil in.

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
what does what affect? no fluid? trans will sieze. payin someone to put fluid in? do it yourself, it takes about 30 seconds

greatone

vuss
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss
into a manual there is no place to put tras oil where do u put it in?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
The gearbox takes Dexron 11D trans oil and there will be a filler plug on the drivers side towards the rear of the gearbox - it has a recessed hex head for an allen key. You originally said the 'crankseal' was leaking - crank means crankshaft which means the engine?. If they want only $150 to fix it then it must be simple as $150 wont buy much.

greatone

vuss
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss
so if my gearbox makes few noise's when i change gears quick does that mean its prolly needs oil.

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
not neccessarily. could be synchro's dying - can you feel a grind (in your hand) when you change gears and hear it like it's on the passenger seat?