Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Performance exhausts

Haze

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
hey im planning on getting a sports exhaust but before i go and look around i just wanted to know is it possible to have a sports exhaust that isnt loud?
like i want a clean smooth sound is this possible?

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
quite and performance exhaust dont really go together in the same sentence...if the car has a free flowing exhaust for performance gains, its gunna be louder than normal, its just the way it is.
the best avenue for you would be to run two resonators instead of just one (or none,lol), it'll be a little less free flowing...but it will quieten up the note.

Haze

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
hrmn fair enough
i do like the loud exhausts but i only like it wen its on a V8
but the resonators seem to be the way to go. someone else said the same thing to me but i dont think ill be doing it if it will lower the performance to the stock level. any idea if it will?

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
it wont affect it all that much, probably loose like a Kw or two...but if you want it quiter thats about your only choice.

SaGe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II S-PAK Manual
good size for a 6 cylinder is a 2.5" pipe but if ur lookin for a bit of power but also tryin to keep the noise down, go for a 2" pipe with 2 resonaters, should still be a bit loud but not as loud as most and u should still receive a decent power gain

Haze

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
hey sage give me a hand picking out the exhaust and stuff because im getting the tip for free

RVN 355

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN SS 355
Haze said:
hey im planning on getting a sports exhaust but before i go and look around i just wanted to know is it possible to have a sports exhaust that isnt loud?
like i want a clean smooth sound is this possible?
ok for an ecotec most exhaust companys would recommend a 2 1/2" fairly oversized in my view having driven both 2.25" and 2 1/2" commodore ecotecs + buicks...

With 2 .25" you can get a nicer sound and more back pressure. I am Running 2 1/2" on my vn ss 5litre v8 gettin just as good numbers kw wise with guys having 3" systems so its not the size its other factors, welds,bends ie mandral bends,mufflers brand and type,extractors,condition of valves,pistons,rings etc....

Get your self a nice resinator, lukey ultra flow muffler stainless is the go but price is double,keep ur cat if in good condition and to finish of the job a nice GEN III VT SS TIP or dumper out the back would be nice - dont ever go there with Canons :( lol