Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bleeding

StatOmaN

Custom Title
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Statesman
brakes

I need to change my brake pads , is bleeding the brakes any different having abs do i really need to do it? ...also ive heard somewhere that it also can set off your air bag? any ideas??

Last edited:

StatOmaN

Custom Title
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Statesman
i know some one out three has changed their brakes

noah_73

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon
Don't need to bleed your brakes after changing brake pads unless you're doing it all wrong.

theburna

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman
what you need to do is use a screwdriver to give a gap between the pads and the disk and slowly moved first the inner, then the outer.
Flip back the calipre unit and drop the new pads in.
2 - 3 pumps and the brakes are like new.
Remember that you nned to bed them in so I ussually drive for a km with my foot lightly on the pedal on a local country road.

StatOmaN

Custom Title
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Statesman
thanks, im gonna give it a go tomorrow now

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
If you buy brand name pads they will come with instructions on bedding-in procedures which should be followed. If you want to bleed the brakes then having an ABS makes absolutely no difference to the method you use to bleed the brakes.

Hairy Eater

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Executive V6
just keep an eye on the brake fluid level in the master cylinder bottle.... as you push back in the calipers, you push oil back into the master bottle.... if the bottle had been topped up during using the old pads then as you push back the calipers and fit new pads the master bottle can over flow and spill fluid all in your enginebay firewall paintwork...

jafo

lurker since 2003
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 wh statesman
replacing the pads in a vs is one of the easiest jobs to do no need to bleed the brakes
and as stated bed them in by driving the car for a few kms and apply the brakes often should only need to do this about 3-5 times depending on how hard you brake
just do it in a low traffic spot as you dont want to get rear ended when applying the brakes for nothing :)

noah_73

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon
Don't brake hard on a new set of brake pads as per instructions, it will ruin them.

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
depends on your pads. Mine said on the box to slow hard from 50-60 down to about 10km/h. Ferodo's from memory i think