Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Removing Black Rubber Side Strips

Slow VR

Another White Crummodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series II
I am thinking about attempting to remove the black rubber side strips along the doors and gaurds, i was thinking about using dental floss in behind it to cut the rubber then clean it all up with wax n grease remover.....???

Any1 got any better suggestions or know of any tricks or hazards??

Cheers.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
search is your friend...there's lots of reading to be found on this, so have a geez at some other threads too.
the basic rundown is that the door moulds are held on by double sided tape and sikaflex...ive found just pulling them off (very slowly so you dont warp the door skin) is the easy way to do it, use a applicator to "cut" any sikalfex that wont come free from the mould.
tidy it up by pulling off any excess you can, then use a pin stripe remover/caramel wheel to take off all remaining sikalfex...finish off with wax and grease remover.
just take it easy in ever step, patience is needed, you dont wanna get carried away and mark the door skin.

nick88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SS Voodoo
ey mate, i did this a couple of weeks back, its pretty simple, but just time consuming!
anyway, just follow what sircruisealotVS said, have a bit of pacience, use something to but the sikaflex(that stuff is a bitch to get off even with a caramel wheel) and itll be sweet.
u might get a few small areas that the sikaflex takes the paint off so juz be careful.
ALSO! if your paint is acrylic based DO NOT USE A CARAMEL WHEEL! as it will strip the pain right off! only use the caramel wheel if you are sure that ur paint is 2pac.
attached is what mine looks like now.
Nick

Attachments

• IMG_0377.jpg
    IMG_0377.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 2,664
  • IMG_0380.jpg
    IMG_0380.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 2,539

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
slowvr, your car is a vr so im pretty sure it will be acrylic. What ive been doing is using eucalyptus oil to soften up the sika, and using a razor blade to CAREFULLY cut it down. When its a very thin layer left, use eucalyptus and either a scraper or a fingernail to get the last of it off

Slow VR

Another White Crummodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series II
nick88 said:
ey mate, i did this a couple of weeks back, its pretty simple, but just time consuming!
anyway, just follow what sircruisealotVS said, have a bit of pacience, use something to but the sikaflex(that stuff is a bitch to get off even with a caramel wheel) and itll be sweet.
u might get a few small areas that the sikaflex takes the paint off so juz be careful.
ALSO! if your paint is acrylic based DO NOT USE A CARAMEL WHEEL! as it will strip the pain right off! only use the caramel wheel if you are sure that ur paint is 2pac.
attached is what mine looks like now.
Nick

Wow that looks like u did a good job of that!!!

Yeah i got plenty of time over this easter break! This Eucalyptus oil mite be something to try!!! I was thinking i could get like dental floss in behind the strip and pull it along to try n slice through it??

Yeah its stock VR white paint.......

Infus10n

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Captiva (Work Demo)
semi said:
slowvr, your car is a vr so im pretty sure it will be acrylic. What ive been doing is using eucalyptus oil to soften up the sika, and using a razor blade to CAREFULLY cut it down. When its a very thin layer left, use eucalyptus and either a scraper or a fingernail to get the last of it off

Thats exactly how i get sikaflex off, works a treat, just be slow and steady with the blade and make sure you dont cut the paint.

Haze

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
looks pretty good
i was going to get the chrome berlina strip to put there but you cant get ahold of the strip without the berlina emblom on it

nick88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SS Voodoo
i bought a spray can of eucaliptus oil from the supermarket, works good cause ya jsut spray it on and let it soak into the sikaflex, and keep doin that....the more u get off in one go the better......
if your gunna use a razor blade, be EXTREMLEY careful not to cut into the paint work(or cut yourself too:p) and go really slow at it and the end result will b similar to mine.....i was gunna stick the red SS mouldings on instead of the stocko black ones, but i thought fark it! went to too much effort to get it looking like it is now to go n cover it up again.
Nick

Slow VR

Another White Crummodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series II
nick88 said:
went to too much effort to get it looking like it is now to go n cover it up again.
Nick

True DAT!!!!!

Slow VR

Another White Crummodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series II
Im over it, got some eucalyptus oil, let it soak in for ages and kept puttin it on, slowly slowy got the thing to budge, kept pouring oil onto it!!! After bout n hour finally got the small strip of the gaurd... Then thought F*ck this, this is to bigger job... So i put the strip back on again.......