Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vr exec 5spd OR vs esteem ???

Pete284

Banned
Reaction score
hey guys, i've been trying to weigh up the odds as to which i'd prefer.

OPTION 1:
1994 VR Executive, 5 speed manual approx 200,000k's (speedo says 164,000 stopped a few years back), fully original very nice car, excellent condition $3000. My parents bought it from new in 1994.

OPTION 2:
1997 VS Esteem, 4 speed auto, 94,000k's (speedo works) original, great condition $8000 approx (hopefully after negioation).

The VR has a lot of potential and i've got a fair bit of left over cash to spend on it. ie $3000 car, $500 suspension, $2000 mags, $1500 sound system..... i don't know if i'll stop (that's the problem). However, the VS, i'd prolly just leave it as it is. If i spent all that money on the VR, i'd never see it again once i sold it, a VR is just a VR no matter how much you spend on it (i don't intend to go crazy with mods). The VS has the ECOTEC engine, power windows, and mechanically less wear and tear. Manual or auto, doesn't really bother me, long term prolly auto, but V6 commy manuals are hard to come by.

It's a hard decision i gotta make soon. mum and dad are gonna sell the vr and get a mazda 6, so i got the option of getting it for $3000. Just wondering what you guys think, what would you do ??? Which is the better option ???

Thanks,
Peter.

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
the esteem is really just an exec with a/c, power stuff and nice 15" wheels... it's nothing that special in itself (although i did like mine).

94,000k's is very low... so may well be worth it.. but with 5k spent on the vr it could be a whole lot nicer.

But all that said, it's up to you :p

Haze

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
the main thng i think is that if u want a manual go for the vr because the vs is a base model with a few extras and you could find better ones like calais but also the kms are very low so tough one
but the only thing i would look at is whether u want a manual or an auto

J

Joes_meat

That's a huge price difference. For that money you could drop in a whole new engine with plenty of change.

I'd go the VR definately. (Plus it's manual.)

Plus you know how it's been treated being your parents car.

3800VH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLX V6
go the VR cos ur parents wouldnt of thrashed it

MBS206

Reaction score
The VR...

Whilst the VS makes more power standard, alot of people would actually say, the VR engine is a better engine to modify.

RVN 355

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN SS 355
i would say vs but not for 4 grand more. For 8 grand id be pushing for a vt. Vr's are gettin old now tho 5 speed the only thing id go for, re sale value is not that great or vr's so remember there 12 yrs old.

If ya parents are seeling the vr cheap the first thing id do is fix the speedo thats a defect for starters.

Pete284

Banned
Reaction score

i like the vr because of the potential. straight up i can get $2k mags, $700 exhaust/extractors, $500 suspension and a $1.5k stereo (i'm not gonna mod the engine. CAI, K&N filter, extractors and exhaust, that's it). the manual is really good for thrashing it (that's the only thing i like it for) but i wouldn't do that all the time. but since i've been driving it, i've noticed it's got real bad fuel economy (and it's not like i thrash it). i filled up on monday, $60, and by thursday it was less than half. and i didn't really go far, 100 kilometers max. so basically, it's gettin around 200 - 300k's on a tank. :bang: and i'm still in school i don't know how the hell i'm gonna afford to run that on a casual job. (by the way, i'd rather not get the speedo fixed. personally, i'd rather buy something that says 164,000 than 200,000, so i'll fix that just before i sell it).
On the other hand, the VS would have much better fuel economy (i hope), and i love the electrics. i sorta know the bloke who owned it (he's in his 70's), and he traded it in for a new suzuki swift, and i know it's been kept in good order and never been over 3000 rpm. long term i think i'd prefer the auto, but i wouldn't be able to just go out and buy mags, a good sound system and lower it straight away.
Short term - the VR. Long term - the VS.
you guys rekkon go for the VR?

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
mmm that's pretty bad economy on the vr... at the end of the day it should be about the same as the vs (450-500k/tank) so something is wrong there.

Could be a number of things, air temp sensor in the air box is always a good one, about $70 for a new one...

Haze

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
um i actually think u should scrap both and go for a VT because you can get a vt for less than 8,000 in decent condition