Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Water in VS boot lid.

SunCoastSister

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S1
The boot lid on my VS I fills with water after/during rain. I've had the mechanic look at it and tightened all screws around the reflector panel but it still occurs. Have taken to carrying a small plastic bottle in boot to catch water when I lift the lid... have to keep my golf clubs dry.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thought it might be due to water getting into the boot itself then evaporating and condensing inside boot lid but for this to happen the boot mat itself would have to be pretty wet, which it isn't.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
yeah the boots in most commodores leak especially vn-vs...i havent quite found the sure-fire way of stopping it leaking in a vs.
but if you put a small bead of sikalfex across the back of the boot garnish along the top it helps reduce how much water gets in...you can see when you look closely that the foam seal on the garnish doesnt quite seal water tight.

SunCoastSister

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S1
Thank you.

I've just done a search on the infamous boot lid leak and find that I am in no way alone.

Will have a go with the seal tomorrow.

Also posted a ? on ignition switch going on me today. Unlike others mine was left in the on position, engine did not start. I could take my key out but all pre ignition lights were still on. Had to disconnect battery and get a tow home.

Topend VS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Executive V6 '95
Take lights and trim off boot and seal all edges and around screw holes with silcone or sikaflex and leak will be stopped. Very common. I live in Darwin and we get tropical rains and this fix cures it.

jafo

lurker since 2003
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 wh statesman
SunCoastSister said:
Thank you.

also posted a ? on ignition switch going on me today. Unlike others mine was left in the on position, engine did not start. I could take my key out but all pre ignition lights were still on. Had to disconnect battery and get a tow home.

time to replace ignition barrel

smickvn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S V6 s3 m5 ute VN=WRITE OFF
while ur doing all the work on the outside of ur boot make sure u take out the boot carpet & let the hole boot dry other wise the moisture stored in the carpet will, with the difference in temp on the inside & outside of ur boot, continue to condensate on the underside of ur boot.