Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Who has had their suspension done... properly?

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
G'day all

I am getting tired of my car behaving badly when it comes to cornering and going over speed bumps...

Heres what I want in a suspension setup, so what will I need to do to achieve this? Note that I do NOT have IRS.

* As little body roll as possible
* As little squat and dive as possible
* Low is good, but not essential. Adjustable height would be ideal
* smooth ride would be nice, but not at the expense of handling
* Diff must be properly centred
* Wheels must never rub the guards
* Camber must be correct
* Would prefer car not to bottom out over speed bumps when 4 people in the car.

Now currently there is a significant amount of body roll and the car hits the bump stops when there are 4 people in the car and you go over a decent size bump like a speed bump. Also I have to slow to a painfully slow crawl to go over speed bumps without hitting the bump stops. I have no idea what state the current suspension is in because I have not had it looked at since I bought the car. I had a suspicion that the previous owner cut the springs because the car seems to be fairly low at the front (no more than an inch from tyre to guard) but the rear is a little higher at about 2 inches from tyre to guard. There seems to be very little travel before hitting the bump stops and over speed bumps is a very springy experience.

Any diagnosis or suggestions on what I should have done to the complete system would be appreciated.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
sounds like both springs and shocks need replacing...i spent in excess of $2500 on my suspension when i bought my vs.
people dont worry about the suspension of their car untill something goes wrong so it usually goes checked...mine was pretty bad, so i did everything, springs, shocks, adjustable panhard rod and all the bushes.that may well be what your in for.
id start with taking it to a suspension place (or mechanic) and just get a check-up to see what condition everything is in, so then you know what you need to replace.

Hairy Eater

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Executive V6
take it to Pedders and get a safety check done.... dont think it even costs $20..... ask them what exactly what is your suspension setup at the moment...maybe you should gor FE2 suspension...

Crabito

Reaction score
Website
s4.invisionfree.com
Members Ride
VE SS 2009 V8
I hate speed humps I have to go over them at a angle
Cracked my front spoiler the other day when i was parking it
I scraped over a concrete tyre barrier
I wasnt a happy chappy

My vs sounded just like yours
all i was riding on was one spring and i nearly lost it on a bend and that made me do something about it

But if you want those things i suggest Normal King springs with Monroes GT gas struts and shocks

VLishes

BaZMeG
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais SII
Hairy Eater said:
take it to Pedders and get a safety check done.... dont think it even costs $20..... ask them what exactly what is your suspension setup at the moment...maybe you should gor FE2 suspension...

Nowadays I reckon safety checks are bs, I think that even if your car is safe, they will still say something is wrong so you spend money there.

I need lowering as well, I have IRS and when I accelerate the arse end dips a lot, looks crap.

LowVp

VP Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Ute 3.8T T56
stock springs, stiffer shocks and a thicker sway bar, done

MBS206

Reaction score
I'd find the FE2 suspension that comes from your car.

Does everything except for adjustability
Smooth ride is sort of gone though
And it won't bottom unless something is fuxored!

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
What parts would I need to find to convert to FE2 suspension? just springs and shocks all round?

jNINE

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
I have a 'couple'
FE2 is very similar height to Kings Low.

A good alternative is the Kings Lows with some BOGE shock absorbers and new bushes if required. You can get away without an adjustable panhard rod at this height. My car is similar setup to this and I don't have one and use the car for towing a car trailer on occasion. It will still bottom out on big speedhumps (like in Westfeild Chermside), but I have a modded exhaust and the cat convertor is lower than standard.

If you go superlow you will need the adjustable panhard rod.

If you are in the Nth Brisbane area, pm me and I can help you out with prices.