Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Starting problems

J

Joes_meat

My VS often has problems when starting.

I held the key at the cranking position, it wasn't cranking. I pressed the unlock button on the key and it started cranking straight away.

Would this be a BCM fault?

jafo

lurker since 2003
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 wh statesman
its a security thing if you unlock the car and leave it long enough without putting the key in the ignition the warning light will flash if this is flashin you need to press the button again and then start it

SaGe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II S-PAK Manual
immoboliser id say

J

Joes_meat

No lights flash when I turn the key, it just doesn't crank.

I didn't think my car had an immobiliser? It's an exec with no options except auto transmission.

If it is the immobiliser, how would I go about fixing it?

I really don't know too much about immobilisers.

kirkson

Captain
Reaction score
Members Ride
93 vr v6 exec duel fuel
Yep i would agree with the imobilser, could just be flat battery on key, or as I found one time just unlock the car and move the stick from park to drive then firmly back to park, you know how your car wont start in drive, its a saftey thing that somtimes gets jammed move the stick in and out and it should start, but as I say it is probably imobilser, oh and you will have one,
regards Kirk

SaGe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II S-PAK Manual
the VS came a stock immobiliser, not the top of the range but fairly effective, if u wanted to steal a VS ud hav break in then wait another 40min for the computer to turn off the immoboliser, im not gonna say exactly how u do it all though. the red LED beneath the stereo represents the immobiliser.

wat do u mean "no lights flash when I turn the key" as in no lights turn on in dashboard? if thats so then u got a flat car battery

lazyass

Reaction score
Members Ride
Have moved up to VE SS
Had the same problem and had a new key coded to the car.Fixed it straight away then i bought a VX 3weeks later same thing .Hope this helps.

J

Joes_meat

SaGe said:
the VS came a stock immobiliser, not the top of the range but fairly effective, if u wanted to steal a VS ud hav break in then wait another 40min for the computer to turn off the immoboliser, im not gonna say exactly how u do it all though. the red LED beneath the stereo represents the immobiliser.

wat do u mean "no lights flash when I turn the key" as in no lights turn on in dashboard? if thats so then u got a flat car battery

I was replying to jafo, he said I'd have a warning light flash - I didn't.

All my lights light up normally I meant - no warning light.

I sometimes get a check engine light after I start my car after a failed start (i.e. Car won't crank, then I try again and it will). But I check the codes and there's never any stored.

I have three keys and it does the same thing with all of them, so I doubt it's a flat battery. I'll try replacing the battery in one of them.

I'm pretty sure it's not the neutral switch either, jiggling the gear selector doesn't have any effect on starting.

SaGe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II S-PAK Manual
hmmm......quite interesting......
try this.
disconnect both battery terminals to reset the computer, u hav to leave the car for a while so that all power from the circuits is drained then the comp will reset, u can also hold the two leads together to bleed the power from the circuits faster.

once uve left the car disconnected for awhile (few hours), reconnect it and see if u hav the same prob.

thats about all i can come up with at the moment