Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Loud Knocking noise

VScom

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS executive 3.8L
Hi Peeps,

For last 12 months i have a had a knocking noise coming from front left wheel, over the the last 6 months the noise has become progressively F*&%ING worse. I can feel it through the steering wheel and through the floor when im driving. Mechanic serviced it and said the wheel bearings needed replacing, and he said he could here a scrapping noise not a knocking noise:bang:

Took it to Pedders to get a whole lotta front end work done and they said it is a noisy Diff? WTF!!!

My missus uncle said he thinks it was the uni joints, so we replaced them and the noise is still F*%&ING there.

Some help please.

The car is running 18's with Superlows if that helps.
but this problem has been there before i got the wheels and lowered suspension. Just gotten to the point now where its giving me the shits BIG TIME that im being told all this different shits.:mad:

Cheers

SaGe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II S-PAK Manual
if it was the diff, the sound would be comin from the back of the car and usally the diff doesnt make a loud knocking noise, it makes this wierd whirrling noise that i cant describe properly

anywayz i reckon that its ur front wheel bearings, r u sure they changed them?

DaPlaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS Series II
Could be your engine mounts? just a thought....

When does it happen? is the noise different at different speeds?

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
10:1 ball joints

elljay

Reaction score
Members Ride
Slammed VS Berlina
DaPlaya said:
Could be your engine mounts? just a thought....

When does it happen? is the noise different at different speeds?
also the gearbox mounts, mine need fixing now. when i take of i hear a knocking noise. Going to fix it really soon, when not to lazy or busy.

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
If it only happens going around corners than I reckon it's your CV joints....LOL :p...just jokes !!!

but seriously... it only happens on acceleration ???...Does the sound exist when just reving the car on the spot ???...if so its probably a big end let go. $$$

haloeight

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato SII L67 S/C V6
id say ball joints, or the upper strut bearing

ESPECIALLY if you didnt replace them when you changed springs/shocks

they will go crap very quickly if you didnt put fresh ones on, i did all that on my vk, and within 2 months it was knocks ahoy everywhere

VScom

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS executive 3.8L
When its idling it fine purrs like a kitten. It starts to knock when the car is in motion and gets really in your face when turning. took it to pedders not long ago and they replaced front shocks and bushes and all that good stuff, they reckoned i had a noisy diff and that the sound was travelling(from back to front). But when i drive it i can feel it through the floor and steering wheel, and it feels like it definately comes from the front.

VScom

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS executive 3.8L
sixshooter said:
If it only happens going around corners than I reckon it's your CV joints....LOL :p...just jokes !!!

but seriously... it only happens on acceleration ???...Does the sound exist when just reving the car on the spot ???...if so its probably a big end let go. $$$

I dont think this is the prob, i like to rev my car when its sitting there :thumbsup: sounds beautiful through a 2.5 lukey exhaust:thumbsup: Anyways i dont think it a let go.

Ravine

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina V6 S1 Auto
Was happening to me too, only under hard acceleration tho. Thought it was uni joints, tailshaft out of balance ect. Turns out it was just the exhaust knocking. New bracket $30 no troubs.