Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Better brakes

97 SEN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS HSV SENATOR
I looking for a good option for better brakes in my car. I've experimented with different bendix brake pads, i have slotted and crossed drilled dba discs in the front but it still doesn't stop like i want.

want to sort the brakes out before i start doing work on the engine and drive line.

what recommendation do you guys have. i've been thinking about hsv brakes of a latter model but don't know if they fit or not.

i also want to stick with 17 inch mags.

any help would be appreciated

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
done the vt twin piston caliper upgrade yet? that makes a big difference apparently, you could always go for some 4 pot skyline calipers even and even after that, go new aftermarket like ap racing or harrop......you could always put on a rear mounted 'chute.....you'll be chewing dashboard in no time

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VE SportWagon International A4
VT callipers, VT master cylinder and VT brake booster is a good set up apparently. Click on this link to get detail instruction on how to do this. I have been wanting to this for quiet a while, but never had the money to do this.

97 SEN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS HSV SENATOR
The vt twin piston caliper upgrade sounds like what i would be after. depending price and amount of effort it would take.

Are they a direct fit for a vs? If not how much work?
Do you have to upgrade master cylinder and brake booster for a vs?
Anyone know $ for the vt option? or a wrecker who might have them? , i'm on the north side of brisbane. (i'll ring around and see how i go, but if some one knows...)

its about 3k for new after market brakes (front only) does any one know how they go for the money. My thoughts are that this is a street car not a race car, will the brakes work right when there not up to temp? I find with my current brake set up they work really well when your using them hard and there up to temp eg. tight twisty roads comming done hills, but they suck in traffic and the first time you jump on them. while other pads with stock disc work alright for normal driving but just cook them selves when there used heavilly a bit.

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
Are they a direct fit for a vs? mostly
If not how much work?simple bolt caliper on and use shim for disk allignment or buy specific DBA disks for VT calipers
Do you have to upgrade master cylinder and brake booster for a vs? not neccessary, but can be an advantage
Anyone know $ for the vt option? or a wrecker who might have them? , i'm on the north side of brisbane. (i'll ring around and see how i go, but if some one knows...)try mr-spares ebay or PM him here (same guy)

hotrod32

Reaction score
Website
www.notdadzkustoms.cjb.net
Members Ride
1995 VS Executive
97 SEN said:
The vt twin piston caliper upgrade sounds like what i would be after. depending price and amount of effort it would take.

Are they a direct fit for a vs? If not how much work?
Do you have to upgrade master cylinder and brake booster for a vs?
Anyone know $ for the vt option? or a wrecker who might have them? , i'm on the north side of brisbane. (i'll ring around and see how i go, but if some one knows...)

its about 3k for new after market brakes (front only) does any one know how they go for the money. My thoughts are that this is a street car not a race car, will the brakes work right when there not up to temp? I find with my current brake set up they work really well when your using them hard and there up to temp eg. tight twisty roads comming done hills, but they suck in traffic and the first time you jump on them. while other pads with stock disc work alright for normal driving but just cook them selves when there used heavilly a bit.

I did this upgrade onto my VS About 4 days ago... Works well not a real huge difference in stopping power (compaired to the 4 spot HSV jobbies on my dads VT S2 Clubby) Im yet to do the master cylinder and booster as im still running the standard VS V6 one. The Job it self is fairly easy, the caliper bolts stright into the orignal holes, i also have the DBA Cross drilled rotors to match, i think i have the part number for them somewere.... And i also have braided lines to match, could be worth thinkin about anyway.

Attachments

• 1822.JPG
    1822.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 412

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
hotrod32 said:
I did this upgrade onto my VS About 4 days ago... Works well not a real huge difference in stopping power (compaired to the 4 spot HSV jobbies on my dads VT S2 Clubby) Im yet to do the master cylinder and booster as im still running the standard VS V6 one. The Job it self is fairly easy, the caliper bolts stright into the orignal holes, i also have the DBA Cross drilled rotors to match, i think i have the part number for them somewere.... And i also have braided lines to match, could be worth thinkin about anyway.
looks like a pretty good setup. i have dba slotted rotors on the front and they are a lot better over stock discs (in my opinion) i have also heard that the master cylinder upgrade from 15/16" to 1" is not worth the money. but, once again, if you have nothing else to upgrade and you're bored, then why not i guess. another thing often overlooked is the booster, a lot of people can have a vacuum leak and not realise it (causing increased brake pedal effort) these people then look at their pads and calipers and think they're insufficient.....just an idea

97 SEN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS HSV SENATOR
Thanks for all the info. I'll look into it some more. I was actually thing of the hsv calibers (i thought they were the twin piston ones). I'll also check the brake booster and that but i'm pretty confident its fine, the brakes feel exactly the same as my last vs the only difference is the extra weight i'm trying to stop now. I'll also do a brake fluid change just to be sure