Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Idler Pulley noisy?? & Brushing noise from alternator

futronix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 MY12.5
Hi all....

Cpl of problems which I need some answers....

Is the item highlighted in the pic a "Idler pulley? How much are they to replace and is it just a case of take off belt replace pulley and replace belt? I have a whinning sound coming from it and i can hear a few bearings have dropped...

also have a brushing sound from the alternator is it on its way out??

Attachments

• pulley.jpg
    pulley.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 3,333

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
I've been told by another member to expect around $200 to get the idley pulley done by a mechanic... let me know how you go since I'll probably need one replaced soon too..

noah_73

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon
Idler pulleys are about $30-$40 plus fitting which is all of about 10 minutes work at the most.

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
futronix :s i have the exact same problem :s, let hope this isnt the issue to the hard to start and rough for a second problem..

futronix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 MY12.5
Cheers guys.....

ill guess ill get a new one from holden n replace it myself.... Is there a specific name for that pulley?

fitzy,,how long u been running with the noisy pulley... ive got away with about 250kms so far... although i should change it ASAP as I could get stuck sumwhere..

I remember a while ago a RACV guy changed another pulley for my ol lady on the side of the road (it ripped to shreds and the car was goin nowhere)... he went to get the part from holden and all he charged her was for the cost of the part....

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
about 600km now :(, ive got a few things more important to fix though :(

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Hmmm is a noisy idler pulley that serious? I thought it'd just be something that's annoying for a while til you get it sorted..

Maybe I will book the new beast in a little sooner..

futronix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 MY12.5
i thought it wouldnt be much of a problem but i can hear dislodged bearings in there as well so i guess better sooner than later.....

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Yeah i figured the noise would be bung bearings... but dunno how much it's got in it. Ah well.. i'll get it done when i get the car.. can't have been too bad since the last guy didn't know anything about it.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
As mentioned previously by noah_73, it takes all of 10 to 20 minutes to change the pulley yourself. If it fails whilst you are driving, it will shred the drive belt ($35) and if you do not notice the 'bang' and red 'no charge' light you may well cook the motor ($2000 minimum) as the drive belt drives the water pump and alternator and aircon. It takes about 5km of driving without a drivebelt to cook a motor. Stranded on the side of the road ain't fun and you can bet your bottom dollar your mobile phone will be out of credit as well.