Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Strange 'moaning/squealing' from rearend

smaddock

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Executive S2
And yes, thats the rear end of my car!! :yeah:

Anyway, for about 3months I've had a moaning/squealing noise from the rear end which is not noticeable when driving straight, but is heard when turning left around a corner. It doesn't happen all the time, but is getting more regular.

At first I thought it was a bearing prob, so thought it was a good time to have the diff rebuilt with 3.9 gears and LSD centre, and obviously new bearings throughout, including axle bearings.

However the noise is still there. Is there anything else it could be? The car has been lowered with superlow kingsprings, so I was thinking maybe it could have something to do with rear end geometry. It doesn't sound like tyre rubbing noise, but then again I haven't really checked for it either. I have also heard it could be something like the brake pads draging when going around a corner...?

Any ideas?

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
smaddock said:
And yes, thats the rear end of my car!! :yeah:

Anyway, for about 3months I've had a moaning/squealing noise from the rear end which is not noticeable when driving straight, but is heard when turning left around a corner. It doesn't happen all the time, but is getting more regular.

At first I thought it was a bearing prob, so thought it was a good time to have the diff rebuilt with 3.9 gears and LSD centre, and obviously new bearings throughout, including axle bearings.

However the noise is still there. Is there anything else it could be? The car has been lowered with superlow kingsprings, so I was thinking maybe it could have something to do with rear end geometry. It doesn't sound like tyre rubbing noise, but then again I haven't really checked for it either. I have also heard it could be something like the brake pads draging when going around a corner...?

Any ideas?
change oil in diff
or replace clutch pack

smaddock

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Executive S2
Yeah, there's definately no one in the boot :)

As for the diff oil and clutch packs, the noise was there before the diff was rebuilt with LSD and 3.9, and the rebuild only happened 2 weeks ago and the noise is still there.

haloeight

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato SII L67 S/C V6
maybe a suspension bush is tight and full of crap, and when you move thats ure squeak

smaddock

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Executive S2
I'd probably be more inclined to say its a "moan", and it doesn't go for a split second like you'd expect a suspension bush to do. When going around a corner it will "moan" for the whole corner sometimes, sometimes cutout half way thru, other times it will vary in pitch while cornering.

I really have no idea... its a strange one.

nsladden

GET UTED
Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 Holden VP Ute S 5.0L & 1989 Holden VN 5sp Wag
Ease of the accelerator when negotiating those tempting corners.